UKC

I need a new lightweight Shell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 15 Aug 2018

My 18 year old Lower Alpine Triple Point (not ceramic) has finally stopped being waterproof.

For most of its life the jacket was scrunched up in one climbing bag or another, for a just in case moment when the Rain Gods appeared.

Now that I'm looking for a new jacket, what is out there that can take being screwed up into a ball and thrown into a bag alongside chalk and metalwork?

I have no intention of spending silly money. I am quite happy for non branded or own brand stuff from the likes of Decathlon or Millets, but if there is a stupid bargain from the likes of the big brands then even better.

Cheers

Dell 15 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Too many to choose from, I'll just say Alpkit, before someone else does. 

The cheapest option might be just to reproof it with nikwax?

Regarding the scrunching, I always keep my waterproof in a small plastic bag or stuff sack, that way it won't suffer from abrasion inside the pack, plus you've got a bag to put it in if you have to put it away wet. 

OP The Lemming 15 Aug 2018
In reply to Dell:

Alpkit you say?

I say good idea.

GrahamD 15 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

For that, I've still got a Peter Storm.   Works well enough for what you describe if you aren't too brand conscious.

In reply to GrahamD:

Too old for brand consious.

bouldery bits 15 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Montane Atomic is great for this application.

Tony Jones 15 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I have an old ME Firefly which also seems to have given up being waterproof despite washing in Nikwax and I've just ordered a Patagucci Torrentshell as a lightweight, packable replacement. If you're not fussed about colours and shop around they are available for £60-£70 (I got mine in a medium for £65). I can't comment on its durability and it's certainly not as cheap as a Millets or Decathlon own brand jacket but if it does what it's supposed to do it will still represent decent value for money. I'll be taking it off before thrutching up any gritstone chimneys however.

In reply to Tony Jones:

Sixty to seventy pounds?

That stuck in my throat.

Siward 15 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Ah well you should have bought the ceramic version!

d_b 15 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I picked up a montane minmus stretch jacket for the "lightweight packable waterproof" niche which seems to do the job.  V light and definitely keeps the rain out.

I'm not convinced its longevity will be that great if I use it regularly but its job is to be in a stuff sack in my climbing bag, not to be used.

In reply to Siward:

> Ah well you should have bought the ceramic version!

I still own a Triple Point Ceramic jacket, bought in 1995.  That thing will not die.

d_b 15 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I have one from about '97.  It is waterproof except where logo is embroidered on the front.  Unkillable and weighs about as much as my tent

Dell 15 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Same here, got it on eBay for £15 in mint condition, it's a joy to wear in sideways rain and very strong gusts. 

John Kelly 15 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming: 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/raincut-mens-waterproof-jacket-blue-id_8300325....

£7

Hoods not best but as wind proof water proof layer in bottom of rucksack it's spot on

Oh it very tough, i can't rip it, maybe some granite might work

Post edited at 19:01
 Dave the Rave 15 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> My 18 year old Lower Alpine Triple Point (not ceramic) has finally stopped being waterproof.

> For most of its life the jacket was scrunched up in one climbing bag or another, for a just in case moment when the Rain Gods appeared.

> Now that I'm looking for a new jacket, what is out there that can take being screwed up into a ball and thrown into a bag alongside chalk and metalwork?

> I have no intention of spending silly money. I am quite happy for non branded or own brand stuff from the likes of Decathlon or Millets, but if there is a stupid bargain from the likes of the big brands then even better.

> Cheers

Was it one of those dead thin ones? I had one a smock version loved it and found nothing similar.

Stichtplate 15 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Come on Lemming, you strike me as the sort of bloke who looks after his kit. If you expect your new jacket to last another 18 years you could invest 20 or 30 pence per week over it's life time and acquire whatever Gucci hardshell takes your fancy. Forget the thrill of thrift and embrace the decadence of slipping into something hugely overpriced but miraculously over engineered.

Ellis Brigham have got an Arcteryx Alpha AR at close to half price (if only I had the money!).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...