UKC

Ice Axe advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
boondoggler 24 Dec 2012
I am looking for a new set of leashless axes. I mostly climb pure ice falls with a bit of mixed, up to WI6. was looking at the nomics the last couple of years but with put didn't buy them with the technical problems the last couple of years. Are they solved this year. How do people rate the fusions? or are there any other axes people would recommend?
 Cameron94 24 Dec 2012
In reply to boondoggler: Use the search function, you'll get plenty of results...
Grumpyoldgit 25 Dec 2012
In reply to boondoggler: Hi, If you claim to climb up to WI6 then surely you would know what would be the best tools to use, rather than seek advise from the arm chair bullshi**ers. on here.
 The Grist 25 Dec 2012
In reply to boondoggler: the nomics seem a safe bet. The technical issues with the pommels seem to be rectified on latest issues. I bought a pair and rate them highly. I have tried the ergos which have three handle options. Great for dry tooling but possibly not the best bet for anything less than vertical ice. For grade 6 ice they are possibly perfect.
 CurlyStevo 25 Dec 2012
In reply to The Grist: im pretty sure ive read the pommel issues havent been sorted.
 The Grist 25 Dec 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Not sure where you have read that. I hope I have no issues this season with mine.

According to this guy who seems to be a well versed voice on ice gear petzl doubled the strength of the pommel grip rest on the latest version. I would have thought that would have fixed the issues they had.

http://coldthistle.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/2012-petzl-nomic-and-petzl-ergo.h...

ice.solo 25 Dec 2012
In reply to The Grist:

It may be the silly little scalloped 'spike' curly steve is referring to. An odd 'fixing' of something that was never broken and at the time appeared as a red herring to the real problem.

Personally i just switched to fusions and have found them a much nicer tool for the things i do.
 Alex Slipchuk 25 Dec 2012
In reply to Grumpyoldgit:
> (In reply to boondoggler) Hi, If you claim to climb up to WI6 then surely you would know what would be the best tools to use, rather than seek advise from the arm chair bullshi**ers.

Brilliant, keep up the work
 CurlyStevo 26 Dec 2012
In reply to The Grist:
> (In reply to CurlyStevo)
>
> Not sure where you have read that. I hope I have no issues this season with mine.
>
> According to this guy who seems to be a well versed voice on ice gear petzl doubled the strength of the pommel grip rest on the latest version. I would have thought that would have fixed the issues they had.
>

If you are going to quote an article to back up your argument atleast read it.

"The new improved 2012-2013 tools just became available again recently in Europe and now here in the US and North America. Already I am getting reports in of loose pommels"

"A few failures reported both loose inserts and inserts coming out early this winter so it is already obvious the "fix" isn't good enough."

This isnt the only thing ive read saying the same thing either.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...