UKC

Inflatable camping pillows

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 16 Jun 2021

I've been toying with getting an inflatable pillow for a while, rather than lugging the ones off the bed for family camping, as the car is full enough as it is and the Thermarest pillow case I've got that you just stuff a fleece in isn't really "that" comfortable.

So, looking at the Sea to Sumit Aeros Premium or Ultralight in large size.

Are they comfortable to use, or should I be looking elsewhere? I did briefly try one of the Exped ones, but didn't like the shape of it.

Thanks in advance.

Liam P 16 Jun 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I have one and can highly recommend. Packs down to the size of a tennis ball and is a game-changer in comparison to stuff sack of clothes/coiled rope/half filled daysack etc. 

Just vary how much you inflate it depending on how hard you like your pillows. Feels a bit decadent when compared to tales of shiver-bivi-lore but I definitely feel more rested and psyched to climb in the morning.

Dark-Cloud 16 Jun 2021

My neck couldn't survive without my Sea to Summit ultralight, I have the standard size one as it will fit in the hood of a sleeping bag, great bits of kit.

misterb 16 Jun 2021

Yep,regular size seems big enough but if it's car camping you May as well buy the large one

Aerios is surprisingly good,i had a cheap inflatable one before and it was very sweaty

neuromancer 16 Jun 2021

If it's for car camping, I wouldn't bother with the ultralight backpacking pillows. They crinkle and aren't that comfy. Obviously, leaps and bounds ahead of a rope, but yknow. 

Decathlon memory foam camping pillow. Squished down small enough for any car. 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-pillow-ultim-comfort/_/R-p-308736?mc=...

Graeme G 16 Jun 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

> If it's for car camping

Surey if you’re in a car you would just take a pillow? The one’s you have on your bed? Or is that too simple a solution?

OP LastBoyScout 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

> Surey if you’re in a car you would just take a pillow? The one’s you have on your bed? Or is that too simple a solution?

That's what I'm currently doing, but they take up a lot of room in the car and I'd rather not be dragging the best pillows around a potentially grubby tent.

The inflatable one will also get used for bike packing and other travel, too.

tomsan91 16 Jun 2021

Got a Trekmates Air Lite Pillow for wild camping, wouldn't spend a night without it on the hill now.

Fredt 16 Jun 2021

I can recommend the Cocoon Nylon Stuff Sack with Fleece Lining, which I originally bought to protect camera gear in my rucksack, (and its brilliant for that), but I've often used it as a pillow, turned inside out and stuffed with clothes.

Johnhi 16 Jun 2021

If you're camping near a car, I'd find space for a proper pillow.  Don't find my mountain equipment one very comfy but it weighs nothing, plus is better than nothing when out in the hills.

johnlc 16 Jun 2021

I just spent the last three nights using an Alpkit Drift, instead of the usual improvised pile of kit.  It is light and squashes up really small and was ideal.  It is now essential kit!

Incidentally, my son had a self-inflating foam one and I saw him squashing all of the air out of it before going to bed.  he explained that it slowly inflates overnight until is is uncomfortably firm in the morning.  Maybe it is just that particular brand of pillow or maybe his has a small puncture somewhere but it is something else to consider.

SFM 17 Jun 2021
OP LastBoyScout 13 Jul 2021

Has anyone used the Zempire Chill Pill inflatable one - I've seen them on sale at the moment and seems to tick the boxes for now: https://www.zempire.co.uk/chill-pill-removeable-cover

Jon Greengrass 13 Jul 2021

I always take a down pillow camping, more specifically my down jacket stuffed into a pillow case.

HomerTheFat 13 Jul 2021

I have the Sea to summit Aeros and I like it a lot. I have it paired with the S2S mat and the little grippy stickers. Great stuff. I find the pillow comfy and light enough to always want to take it wild camping. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...