UKC

Is this the same rope?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reader_Rambles 11 May 2018

Hi all, 

Brought a brand new Beal Joker 9.1mm 60m rope the other day thinking it was the same as the rope I already had, so I could use them as half ropes due to the Joker being a unicore rope. The new rope (blue) feel thinner than the rope I have now which I believe is the Joker 9.1mm as well. 

If anyone is able to assure me they are the same rope or tell me they are different and what rope the (yellow) one is would be brilliant. the Yellow rope is definitely a Beal rope, as its rope bag it came with is Beal. I just can't remember the model

(Please view my gallery to find the picture of the ropes).

GrahamD 11 May 2018
In reply to Reader_Rambles:

It might be the same.  Ropes do fatten up with age.  It doesn't matter for use as half ropes - you can use ropes of quite different diameters as half ropes absolutely safely provided the belay plate isn't restricted

johncook 11 May 2018

Use them as half ropes, they don't have to be the same diameter.

Another answer is that your older rope may just have fattened up as ropes do with use.

Most probably your original rope was a Beal Joker from several years ago, when they were 9.8 (?) mm and the new one is the newer thinner model.

In reply to johncook:

Ah okay, I did think maybe the 9.1mm might be a revised version. Cheers for all the feedback guys

HeMa 12 May 2018
In reply to johncook:

> Most probably your original rope was a Beal Joker from several years ago, when they were 9.8 (?) mm.

Joker has always been 9.1mm. 

But as others have said, it will became fatter due to wear. My old (now long rerired) Joker (per unicore) was actually fatter than a new 9.8 Beal Diablo (unicore).

In reply to HeMa:

Oh wow, was that down to use or it was genuinely fatter from the start?

HeMa 13 May 2018

From use... but to be honest, rope diameters are no different than the length... So they might be a tad different than what you expect from the numbers...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...