UKC

Jetboil replacement mesh - What could I use?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 angels 19 May 2020

Hi, 

I have an original Jetboil stove. It has a detachable wire mesh over the burner, with finer mesh in the middle and wider mesh around the edge. The (inner finer) mesh (especially) has degraded and is no longer present, but the stove cant be used like this (safely). I have searched everywhere and cannot find the replacement part, and contacted jetboil but they said I needed to buy a new burner (which actually means an entire new stove, which as pretty disappointing!!!) 

Anyone got any ideas what I could replace the mesh with?

Because environmentally, throwing this away doesn't sit well as the stove works well and replacing this mesh is a low skill job which needs no technical gas knowledge!

Thanks for your help  

top cat 19 May 2020
In reply to angels:

I had the same problem with a Primus gas stove and got the mesh from Primus very quickly.   Maybe a Primus mesh would fit, or could be modified to fit?

OP angels 19 May 2020
In reply to top cat:

That's a good tip, thanks! I've had a look at the replacement parts options on the primus site and I am struggling to find it, do you know the model of your stove please in case that helps me search the web options bit more accurately?

Thanks

Frank R. 19 May 2020
In reply to angels:

Which Jetboil stove?

You could try asking Alpkit? Their BruKit looks the same as the Chinese FireMaple (which is a copy of JetBoil Flash, presumably). FireMaple makes stoves as OEM for several other brands as well and one of them answered me a few years ago that they do have some spare parts. The burner head looks* superficially similar, perhaps the mesh would fit?

*: disclaimer - looks =/= is, the burner head might be completely different inside.

Post edited at 15:23
OP angels 19 May 2020
In reply to Frank R.:

I have the Jetboil personal cooking system, their first 2007 model.

Thanks for the alpkit tip off, unfortunately i've had a quick look at them and all of the companies clearly worked out the mesh is useless, and it appears no one sells one with a similar burner mesh, as they all use a solid burner head now, like the new jetboil systems too! 

I'd also be happy to make a new one out of a non-cooker part, but simply don't know what other meshes might be able to withstand the heat and have a similar grid size.

thanks

Frank R. 19 May 2020
In reply to angels:

Ah, the PCS with the mesh. That might be more difficult. Seems you were not the only one with the same problem, probably why they changed the design on the Flash and newer models

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/jetboil_replacement_gauze__mesh_any_...

For what it's worth, I just had a look at the burner head of the old FireMaple stove I have in the closet (never much used it or liked it), and it might not help you. The whole tube with the burner head and air intakes is just screwed on a brass nut with the gas jet orifice on the plastic base and comes right out with a few twists. Whereas I think at least the Flash and perhaps the PCS as well used a bayonet system to attach the burner head and intake tube to the plastic base. Thus a simple burner head and tube replacement from the FireMaple copy might not be possible.

Jetboil still sells a whole burner and plastic base assembly as a spare part for the Flash, that might be compatible with the PCS, although at 35$ or more for something that could be helped with just a simple mesh...

Replacing the mesh with just a "similar looking" one might as well screw up the combustion or flame spread. Tough luck

Post edited at 17:40
 Tim Davies 19 May 2020
In reply to angels:

I got a replacement burner unit from hitch n hike in Bamford. Works fine but no igniter. 
That said, they appear to be closed / shut down when I checked 

Ridge 19 May 2020
In reply to angels:

Stainless steel woven mesh is available from a lot of supliers (from your description I assume it's a mesh rather than a perforated plate). As I can't imagine jetboils were produced in such huge volumes they had their own unique mesh size, you might be able to buy a standard gauge sheet that matches.

Not familiar with jetboils, is the mesh used to produce the gas jets or simply to dissipate the heat? If it's the latter then the mesh size may not be that critical.

Obviously be very careful playing with gas and flames...

leon 1 19 May 2020
In reply to Tim Davies: Hitch n Hike in Bamford closed for good last year .

Frank R. 19 May 2020
In reply to Ridge:

From the look of it (Re: google pictures of PCS, I don't have the old one), it seems the mesh was to spread out the small flame jets, much like the perforated metal sheet is used nowadays. So the dimensions might be somewhat critical - or perhaps not, hard to tell, I'm no expert on combustion 

Jenny C 20 May 2020
In reply to angels:

Like you we have the original PCS and yes the mesh failure is a recognised problem. You used to be able to replace just the small cup in the centre of the burner which came with new mesh, but jetboil discontinued this user replaceable part several years ago.

Like you I am not happy buying a while new burner, both on price and because the burner itself (incl the original piezo) all work fine. Absolutely love my jetboil but will not be buying from them again due to this failure to provide ongoing support to users. 

Back to your original question. If you find a suitable mesh replacement please let me know. 

Ridge 20 May 2020
In reply to Jenny C:

Given the price of a jetboil I agree it's a bit shoddy not to hold spares or provide an upgrade at reasonable cost for what appears to be a known issue.

Jenny C 20 May 2020
In reply to Ridge:

Rather than a known issue I would just say a consumerable part - we've gone through at least 4 of them over the years. 

OP angels 20 May 2020
In reply to angels:

Thanks for everyone's comments. As a stove luddite, I think the mesh purpose may be to produce the gas jets as well as dissipate the heat? Thanks for the tip off Ridge on the stainless steel mesh, ill look into it.... 

I agree Jenny, I have tried both the jetboil distributor UK and in the USA and both were surprisingly unhelpful, telling me my only option was a new burner head (which I had assumed was a larger part than I wanted, but still only 1 part of the stove). I was really shocked to discover upon googling this, that this simply meant a new stove! I would have hoped for a more responsible environmental approach from an outdoors company.

HeMa 20 May 2020
In reply to angels:

Here's a tought... 

Primus made the original Jet Boils, and also had a similar Eta Solo or something like that stove... try to dig up the exact model (late 2000, early 2010) and see if Primus as spares?

Or DIY from SS mesh.

Ridge 20 May 2020
In reply to Jenny C:

> Rather than a known issue I would just say a consumerable part - we've gone through at least 4 of them over the years. 

OK, a consumable part that the company know requires replacement, but they no longer produce to force you into buying a new stove 🙂

ScraggyGoat 20 May 2020

For the record &  unsuccessful, with a bit of hacking I replaced the burner head with an MSR pocket-rocket minus the pocket-rocket pan support arms.  While it fits in neatly, the space between the burner head and the Jetboil cup is smaller and, along with the differing gas supply doesn't result in efficient (read safe) combustion. 

Post edited at 13:48
 Dave Emms 20 May 2020
In reply to angels:

I had exactly this problem and searched for ages for some kind of replacement part with no luck. Eventually found some wire mesh on ebay: "Galvanised Woven Wire Mesh (filter grading sheet) Fine to Heavy Duty Gauze"

I got the version with the densest wire spacing and then cut a few discs out of it. I needed to stack about five discs to get the gas flow right and it now works very nicely. Cost me £2.99

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...