UKC

GEAR REVIEW: John Bachar...a cure for belayer's neck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 28 Jul 2008
UKClimbing.com's gear reviewer John Bachar takes a look at the latest eyewear for climbing. No not Ray Bans, but CU Belay Glasses. Say goodbye to belayer's neck.

Read John's review here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1183
 Bulls Crack 29 Jul 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Is it April already?
 Dax 29 Jul 2008
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I'd buy a pair .. my neck is killing me. I'm wondering whether I should go climbing tonight but the thought of the pain from belaying means I probably won't.
 Jon Read 29 Jul 2008
Brill! If you'd have said a year ago that we would have John Bachar reviewing stuff like tis for UKC I would never have believed you.
OP Michael Ryan 29 Jul 2008
In reply to Jon Read:

John did add last night that, "I hope those guys make a "taller" version so you can see a little more above and below the climber. The width is good, the height a little narrow..."
 nikinko 29 Jul 2008

will they be following these up with a pair that can see round corners or through blocks? Or perhaps funnel the sound of the leader shouting so it can be distinguished from wind/rain/river/sea gulls etc noise?
 The Lemming 29 Jul 2008
In reply to Dax:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
>
> I'd buy a pair .. my neck is killing me. I'm wondering whether I should go climbing tonight but the thought of the pain from belaying means I probably won't.

I too have neck pain caused by belaying and would be interested in testing a pair first.

Nice idea.
 brieflyback 29 Jul 2008

Doesn't look like they'll see past the brim of some helmets.

You should offer a prize for the first person seen sporting them at Stanage.
 JLS 29 Jul 2008

>"the latest eyewear for climbing"

Do the lens pop-out easily? It might be handy to be able to reverse them for talking to women.
 CurlyStevo 29 Jul 2008
In reply to The Lemming:
bending your neck back is generally not the cause of most peoples serious neck pain it's the opposite slouching forward. From my fairly limited knowledge of necks / backs (I have had physio on both for problems with both) I think bending the neck back is more likely to help prevent/correct disc problems.

I think these specs are quite comical surely one of those things we'll look back on and laugh about!
 SonyaD 29 Jul 2008
In reply to CurlyStevo: Depends what is wrong with the disc I think. A slight bulge may be pushed inwards by extension of neck or back as the extension 'frees' up any pressure on the anterior, or front part of the disc to stop it pushing at the back part. But a larger protrusion and herniation can actually be squished more by extension, esp if it's a posterior protrusion which many are. And if there are any facet problems then extension isn't good and quite painful. It's not just disc bulges though, muscular strain won't be helped by holding the neck in any stretched position for a good length of time.
 freerangecat 29 Jul 2008

Are these real/easily obtainable? I hurt my neck in a crash a few years ago and always get bad 'belayers neck' when I go climbing, they sound great (if wierd!).

Cat
 freerangecat 29 Jul 2008
In reply to lasonj:
muscular strain won't be helped by holding the neck in any stretched position for a good length of time.

Thats my problem. Nasty whiplash a few years ago (I mean proper injury, not insurance claim!) means my neck gets sore and I get headachey if I hold any position for too long, especially upwards.
 Kimono 29 Jul 2008

'The CU glasses are made of high-quality steel, have a cool design and are available from www.powernplay.de'

cool? hmm...

These sound a great idea - in theory.... Of course, when your leader falls off, I bet you'll look up, at which point you'll actually be looking over the back of your head!
I don't know if they're any good but this picture made me laugh
http://img.ukclimbing.com/i/93858.jpg
 nikinko 29 Jul 2008
In reply to Stephen Reid:
> Of course, when your leader falls off, I bet you'll look up,

which reminds me... don't forget to take them off when you start climbing!
 David Barlow 29 Jul 2008
Surely they should join up with Petzl and come free with each Grigri...
 Arjen 30 Jul 2008
In reply to David Barlow:
> Surely they should join up with Petzl and come free with each Grigri...

Did you see how much a pair costs?! Its more likely you get a free Grigri with a pair of these glasses...
 richtea21 30 Jul 2008

Dammit, someones beaten me to it! Ask any of my climbing partners and they'll tell you I've been threatening to design and make a pair of these on and off for the last 20 years. The neck's not getting any better and I almost went into the shed to make some (Roobarb and Custard style) a couple of months ago after an extended belay session.

It'll be no fun making them now though, cos you can just go and buy some :/

Rich
 ChrisJD 30 Jul 2008

Do these glasses remove all pains in the neck?

<....wonders if they should be worn when using UKC to make certain posters disappear...>
 DaveR 04 Aug 2008

My dad made a pair about 8 years ago because he got neck pain while belaying. I think he sent them into on the edge magazine, there was a photo of them at the front of the mag.
Albi 04 Aug 2008
In reply to freerangecat: Hello, what do you think about a free CU test? Enjoy your belayings! Albi
 climb41 06 Aug 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I saw these for sale in shops in Tokyo in the early 70's!! A little bit different though, turned 180 degs the other way. They were sold so that you could lie flat on your bed and watch a TV at the end of the bed.
 MeMeMe 06 Aug 2008

Do they do prescription versions?
What about us poor people who already wear glasses?
 Pauline 06 Aug 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: hmmm... could be useful? Is it only me who gets the whole world slightly spinning effect for hours after a long time looking up eg belaying on lots of routes or watching the sprog compete at a certain local wall during the BRYCS? I now nolonger watch the lead section of the comp cos it makes me feel really ill!
 jp6789 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Borrowed a pair at Raven Tor a few days ago - a bit of a revelation i thought. Made the whole belaying process very comfortable and, for me, I could'nt see a down side to them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...