UKC

Kelty Redwing Rucksack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I'm looking for a new rucksack, has anyone any experience with the Kelty Redwings? 

I'm wanting something I can use on autumn/winter hill days where I need to carry extra (insulated jacket, waterproof trousers etc) and my normal Osprey 26 hikelite is abit dinky for this and possibly use for abit of travel, my ancient karrimor trail 45 is dying.

What I like about my trail is the quantity of pockets,  lid pocket, zipped side pockets, and ones on the hipbelt. And what I like about my hikelite is the easy access and adjustability with staps. The ketly redwing seems to tick alot of these combined boxes. Only down side I see is no rain cover.  

Thoughts

Thanks

In reply to Mrs Only a Hill:

Here' a little video about the pack. 

youtube.com/watch?v=ZqxjIGbTyoI&

Nothing to say, thanks. 

tehmarks 02 Apr 2022

Any time.

I've never seen them in the UK, so it's hard to comment. Maybe try USClimbing.com?

Andy Hardy 02 Apr 2022

Never heard of a kelty redwing but if you want a copy of your old karrimor, check out this thread https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/new_karrimor_hot_ice_sac-745891?v=1#...

Also found this today, it's out of stock but those front pockets look like they could hold a tube of pringles with ease. 

https://valleyandpeak.co.uk/brands/mountainsmith/backpacks/scream-50-wsd

Martin Hore 02 Apr 2022

I have a Kelty in my garage - 43 years old and almost certainly not a Redwing. It's a frame and sack combination. I was issued it from the stores at NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) in Lander, Wyoming, for a 30-day instructor training course in the Wind Rivers in 1978 - backpacking all the way. I set out with a load of 88lbs (40kg)! The Kelty frame carried the Kelty sack and two sausage kit bags top and bottom. I carried it all - barely - but I couldn't fault the Kelty. At the end of the course, I bought the sack and frame, but I never used it much afterwards. Soon, integral frame sacks came along which I found superior for "normal" backpacking loads. 

I've never seen Kelty packs for sale in the UK, which probably explains the lack of responses on this thread.

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...