UKC

La Sportiva TC Pros fit advise

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr. Lee 13 Oct 2016
I've big feet and really struggle with finding shoes to try on in my size (let alone buy!).

Currently using Katana Velcro in 46, which have performed great despite being baggy over the toe joints (fit well in the toes and over the instep though). Current pair have worn through at the toes in a matter of months so think I need something a bit harder wearing, plus stiffer is always good. TC pros sound ideal, as a shoe that edges well and well suited to cracks is exactly what I'm looking for. They sound difficult to track down though due to very sporadic production.

I found a shop selling TC pros in smaller sizes and noted the sole shape was identical to the Katana when viewed from the underside. I also noticed on the LS website both shoes use the same last, although the Katana toe box rand looks a little more tapered around the big toe.

I'm tempted to order a pair from the continent just to try on but wondered if there was anybody else on here that has worn both shoes to whatever extent and could give some feedback on how they fitted?

I know this probably sounds a silly post to average sized feet people but I'm getting a bit sick of walking into shops in my area and finding nothing in my size that suits.
 TobyA 13 Oct 2016
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Good luck with your search. TC Pros became really popular in Finland where I used to live. People seemed to really like them on the granite there, which makes sense, but I remember one of my mates wearing his on some sports routes (granite still) too - not just cracks and thin face stuff. In fact, I'll facebook message him a link to this thread and he might be able to give you some advice as he has had other sportiva models too IIRC. I'm pretty certain they based the TC pro on the shape of one of the other models - but perhaps it was the Miura, not the Katana.
 random_watcher 13 Oct 2016
In reply to Mr. Lee:

UK supplier with size 46 you might look at ordering from to try some on

http://www.coldmountainkit.com/shop/product/la-sportiva-tc-pro
 Tom Last 13 Oct 2016
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Hi Lee.

I've had Katanas and looking to get some TC Pros, so no advice other than that I've found a bunch of threads on Mountain Project about TC Pro sizing, so might be worth you having a look over there.

HTH.
Tom
 Šljiva 13 Oct 2016
In reply to Tom Last:
For me they size the same as muira, and also mythos - basically sizing seems pretty consistent across sportiva range.
 Andy Lagan 14 Oct 2016
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Hi,
I wear a 43.5 street shoe, and 44 in Nepal Evos. I went down to a 41.5 in TC pros. It was super tight in the shop, but they expanded perfectly my first day wearing them. I bought them for all day granite routes, but like Toby said, if a sport route or boulder problem has micro edges then I'll use them there too.
OP Mr. Lee 14 Oct 2016
In reply to Tom Last:

Thanks for the lead. Found this post:

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/la-sportiva-tc-pro-sizing/106934510

About five people saying they went for half a size bigger in the TC Pro compared to the Katana Velcro, despite being from the same last. Sounds as though the TC Pro is going to be too much of a gamble for me since I can only order the same size due to being at the top end of the size range.
OP Mr. Lee 14 Oct 2016
In reply to random_watcher:

Thanks, interesting to know. Needlesports state they are the only uk supplier, which is evidently wrong.
 galpinos 14 Oct 2016
In reply to Mr. Lee:

> Currently using Katana Velcro in 46,

Holy mackerel Batman, how big are your feet, 48/49 street shoe*?

(Bearing in mind most Katana wearers go down 2-3 sizes from street shoe)

HeMa 14 Oct 2016
In reply to Šljiva:

> For me they size the same as muira, and also mythos - basically sizing seems pretty consistent across sportiva range.

Yes... my or not...

My feet are around 42... Pythons are 40.5 (for a really good fit, I could go smaller, like 39,5 or 40), Solutions with a comfy fit are 41.5 and Miuras I've used have been 41, 40,5 and lastly 40...

So no, at least from my experience Sportiva sizes are all over the place...

That said, when it comes to TC Pro, a lot of people seem to have them in their street size or half a size smaller (street size, for long routes with socks)...
 1poundSOCKS 14 Oct 2016
In reply to HeMa:
> That said, when it comes to TC Pro, a lot of people seem to have them in their street size or half a size smaller (street size, for long routes with socks)...

For contrast, my street shoe size is normally 41-ish, my TC Pro's are 39.5 (not with socks).

Although I just checked the Euro size of the Salomon shoes I'm wearing, and they're 43 1/3 (UK 9)???
Post edited at 09:50
 HeMa 14 Oct 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> For contrast, my street shoe size is normally 41-ish, my TC Pro's are 39.5 (not with socks).

That sounds about right, for majority of Sportiva shoes (see my Python and Miura comments).

But sizing TC Pro's is also a question on how tight you want them. For majority of my friends, TC's are sized on the larger size as to be an all day shoe (sometimes with socks). Those that want more precision might size smaller (and loose a bit of all day comfort).
 Brian Pollock 14 Oct 2016
In reply to HeMa:

I sized mine a 1/2 size up from my Miura (lace) as they don't seem to stretch as much. I would say that gave me a pretty technical fit and, in hindsight, probably too tight for my intended purpose to use them for long multipitch trad belong my limit. Saying that I size my Miuras as tight as I can as they stretch a lot and usually become all day shoes after a few months.

I would recommend a 1/2 up for a technical fit and a full size up for all day use.
Climbing_Fin 14 Oct 2016
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Hi,

I have been using only the LS TC Pro's now past three years with great success.

From inside to outside, bouldering to multipitch(Norway), trad to sport, friction to overhangs, jamming, edging and hooking. You name it.

Concerning the sizing
My street shoes are 42-43 and my current TC Pro's are 42 so, basically my toes are just lightly bent. Very comfort and very well performing for me around Finnish 6ish at granite.

Never blamed my 'slobby' shoes for the failure, because always the real problem was my upper body strength/stamina, lower body flexibility, climbing technic/beta or simply my guts during leading.

TC Pro's are very nice shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...