UKC

Lake District BMC map users

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinph78 27 Jan 2014
Just wondering how you find the 1:40k maps from the BMC in terms of detail. Do you ever find them lacking in detail such as boundaries and footpaths?

I'll have to order one as there isn't anywhere local that stocks them for me to take a look at. Or if someone could take a photo of their map for an area such as Scafell I'd be grateful (for me to get an idea of the detail for areas I know, not for use obviously!).

Thanks,
Martin
 Team BMC 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

You can view a sample of the British Mountain Maps coverage on the Harveys website: http://www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog/British-Mountain-Map-Sample.html (sorry its not for Scafell!)
OP martinph78 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Team BMC:

Thanks for the link.

It didn't have to be Scafell in particular, just somewhere I could compare to my 1:25k lake district maps, to get a comparison.
 london_huddy 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

I use the map and it's good but I do prefer the 1:25k OS. It might be habit and that I'm more used to it but the 1:40k BMC does come out with me, especially when I'm in the central lakes and would otherwise need to carry a few 1:25ks.
 GrahamD 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

Its brilliant for planning routes as topography is obvious with shading, plus you get the whole of the Lakes on one map whereas I'm forever between maps with the 1:25000. I think there is a large scale of Scafell on the reverse unless memory deceives.
 kestrelspl 27 Jan 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

They're is a very large scale of scafell on the lakes map (something like 1:12500 if I remember). I've found the BMC maps are very good on detail, the footpath marking in particular makes a lot more sense as it describes what you see on the ground not the legal status of the path.
 PPP 27 Jan 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

I agree, shading helps a lot for planning purposes. I found 1:25k to be too detailed for general trekking in non-winter season. I have several 1:25k maps and sometimes use them, but I prefer 1:40k or 1:50k maps. In conditions where I had to take a bearing every 45 steps (so not as bad as complete white-out, but good map was still required), I found 1:40k map to be just right. 1:25k maps confuse me, to be honest.
In reply to Martin1978:

Thanks all. I might try one for planning routes at home, and if I like it take it out on the hill.

John Kelly 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

BMC map is great because you struggle to walk off the edge

also worth considering for similar reasons

http://shop.theaa.com/store/aa-walker-s-maps/2-central-lake-district-aa-wal...

this has the whole of central lakes at 1:25000 on 2 sides of one sheet
as always its difficult to access the map on the reverse (back.
The paper version opens on south lakes so works for me, the waterproof opens to N lakes

very good value

shop around for best price

Mountain Llama 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978: N of skida is not covered. I grew up with OS which I prefer for detailed nav, but handy to Hav a large part of lakes on 1 map so u can go lite.

Ridge 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Mountain Llama:

> N of skida is not covered. I grew up with OS which I prefer for detailed nav, but handy to Hav a large part of lakes on 1 map so u can go lite.

Great Calvas on the back for anyone doing the BGR. I'm not a fan of the map for general walking as it doesn't show field bounaries etc, and that's where you generally have problems trying to find stiles etc. I also have issues with getting my head round 1:40k, but that's probably familiarity.

Plus points are it's pretty much all the lakes on one map, shading to differentiate between grassy and rocjy ground, and the big plus is it differentiates between real and imaginary public footpaths.
 Ridge 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

You have mail.
In reply to John Kelly:

Thanks for the link, hadn't seen those before and they are a good price. Might be just the job, even as a spare map to carry all the time.

Cheers, Martin
In reply to Martin1978:

Thanks Ridge and MountainLama.

cragtyke 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

these use the OS 1:25000 maps and are really neat and easy to use on route outdoors, most of the lakes in 2 vols. Still need the map for route planning though.
http://www.az.co.uk/?nid=544
In reply to cragtyke:

Thanks for the link, not really what I'm looking for though. Prefer a sheet map.

I've just seen an example of the BMC map (thanks RW) and don't think that it is for me so I have decided to stick with 1:25k.

I shall have a look at the AA sheet MFB linked to above, looks like a good option for an emergency map and planning map.

Thanks all.

didntcomelast 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

Whilst on my ML training course in the Lakes we did a bit of work using the BMC map which had just been released and an OS 1:25k map. Using the blown up section around Scafell on the rear of the BMC map revealed that all the map makers had done was to enlarge the original section ie: lines were double thickness etc. There was no additional detail.

This proved to be less than effective in poor weather compared to the intense acuracy of the OS map. One example was the first gash on the corridor route from Sprinkling Tarn. The BMC map gave no real impression this was a hurdle compared to the representation on the OS map. Even the water features on the BMC map were poorly represented unless they were of some size. Detailed map work around the small waters near to Styhead Tarn are well portrayed on the OS map but just appear as blue dots on the BMC.

That said it is a handy map for basic navigation and I still use it on a regular basis. I do know the Lakes pretty well though and so it rarely leaves my bag anyway.
OP martinph78 28 Jan 2014
In reply to didntcomelast:

That was my thoughts when looking at the map for that area. It seemed less detailed/accurate, and now you've mentioned the line thickness I think that is why.

I'm looking at getting a custom OS map for the central lakes instead, covering the 4 overlapping map areas of OL4,5,6 & 7.

Cheers, Martin
 Nutkey 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

> Just wondering how you find the 1:40k maps from the BMC in terms of detail. Do you ever find them lacking in detail such as boundaries and footpaths?

Yes, but I find them sufficient if you bear in mind that stuff is missing. It's not like the OS maps have all the footpaths either!
 Exile 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

I use it, and used the Harvey maps of the Lakes before it in preference to OS maps. I find you have most of the detail of a 1:25000 on a map not much bigger than a 1:50000. They are far better for running when you can thumb the map in one hand more easily, and a lot better in bad weather situations as you don't have to wrestle with a large sheet in high winds.
 icnoble 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

Harveys provided the maps for the Karrimor Mountain Marathon, so they are good enough for a challenge such as that they are good enough for me.
 KevinJ 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:
This is the subject of long running banter with a mate I'm in the mountains with on a regular basis. I have a growing collection of OS 1:50 maps that I print and laminate for specific areas. I find these useful for general route finding and nav. However, I do carry a Harvey's/BMC mountain map as well. I personally find that the level of detail is good enough to be useful when needed, but the scale is such that I don't need to carry several 1:25 sheets on some multi day routes in places like the Lake District where the fine detail is often useful. My mate on the other hand will always opt for the OS maps in the first instance. Comes down to personal preference I suppose.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...