UKC

Large Crampons! UK 14 EU50 HELP!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Milon 13 Jul 2022

Hi all, my first post here,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for me on where to get crampons for large boots.
Despite my best efforts looking into getting a pair of Grivel/Black diamond/ Petzl crampons that will fit a pair of Scarpa Manta tech B2 boots, I cant seem to find any on any website or store that caters for larger sizes. I can't be the only tall chap size UK 14 that wants to go winter mountaineering in europe?
I have purchased the grivel extension bar but this works up to size UK 12 or 13 at best

thanks inadvance any help would be greatly appreciated!

John

Fruit 13 Jul 2022
In reply to John Milon:

I’ve got g10s with the extended bar on my manta 49s with room to spare. Plus I used a set of g12s a couple of weeks ago on final hole setting of standard bar. So it should be possible to sort something 

tjhare1 13 Jul 2022
In reply to John Milon:

Bit of a last resort perhaps, but the curvature looks pretty constant along the length of the bars, so you could probably saw the “T” shape end of the original bars and then rivet/bolt/fix the remainder of the bar to the long bar to add length. 2 fixings would ensure it didn’t wiggle side to side. Might want to be wary about doing it for hard technical climbing where rigidity is key, but if it’s for more general mountaineering use that might work?

BradDodd 13 Jul 2022
In reply to John Milon:

I use g12s with the 190mm extension bar on size 14/50 Scarpa manta pros with room to spare. I also run Petzl Lynx on La sportiva extremes size 14/50 again with an extension bar.

Hiking_Dad 13 Jul 2022
In reply to John Milon:

I am a medium height chap with 48 La Sportiva Nepals and 48 Scarpa Charmoz boots.  I have an old pair of the old black finish Black Diamond Contact crampons and newer stainless Sabretooths.  Both crampons work with the extender bars from Black Diamond

Current version of extender here:

https://www.bananafingers.co.uk/crampons/black-diamond/long-flex-center-bar

OP John Milon 13 Jul 2022
In reply to Fruit:

thanks i will get a pair of G12s and test with the long 190mmm bar seems very hopeful! cheers

In reply to tjhare1:

thanks for the tip, I'll bear in mind! I'm hoping to avoid DIY but will do if needed!

In reply to BradDodd:

Thanks! I've heard Scarpa's work best with Grivel Cramponsi in general and have heard good things about the G12's so wil lgrab a pair..cheers!

In reply to Hiking_Dad:

thanks I'll bear in mind if available in Ellis Briham today central London Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...