UKC

leightweight Softshell, long term durability

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
c0sinus 16 Jan 2018

Hey folks,

Im currently looking for a breathable and durable 3 season (mild summer day)-softshell with a good hood.

After reading some forum discussions and reviews i am considering the ME Squall or Arc' Psiphon FL.

I do have a PertexQuantum&Pile Windjacket which will be too warm for summer and is also too unbreathable. The jacket should be more breathable then Pertex but more wind resistant then a Nano Air. So i guess between 15 and 40 cfm?

Since both jackets are pretty lightweight i do have some reservations about long term durability, especially when wearing under a backpack. As a budget concious student i'd like to make the most capital out of my buy, knowing that no jacket will last forever. Both brands offer burlier jackets and i'm not sure if i should upgrade and sacrifice the low weight and maybe some breathability for long term durability. Also the Rab Torque would be an option as a midweight softshell.

The jacket will be used mostly for all-day use on the campus, hiking to a crag and climbing their and some use mountaineering in the alps (which raises the long term durability concerns when being worn for several days under the shoulder straps).

I'd appreciate if anyone can share his experience with those jackets, especially regarding durability.

Mark Haward 16 Jan 2018
In reply to c0sinus:

I've had light weight soft shells including the old ME Astron Hoody and recently the Montane Dyno Stretch and its predecessor for many years. Used climbing summer and winter plus many alpine and ski seasons. The only damage I've managed is a small hole put in by someone else with an ice axe. Mind you, I try to avoid chimneying. 

I can't speak for the specific models you've highlighted but the ME Squall certainly looks good.

nathan79 16 Jan 2018
In reply to c0sinus:

I was looking for a new summer softshell last year and ended up going for a Montane Dyno Stretch. Nice and light, good stretch (a must for me with Montane fits), sheds a shower okay and is nice and breathable.

It's had days out on Scottish, Welsh, English and Swiss mountains and I've always been happy with it. Not showing much wear.

Pipecleaner 16 Jan 2018
In reply to c0sinus:

Hi, I've got an ME squall.  I can't recommend it highly enough.  I've had it about two years and have used it almost every day for casual wear, climbing, hill walks, scrambling, running, cycling and even some winter climbing with a nano air under...tho its trim so unless you're skinny like me that might be a push.  

As far as wear goes there is none...it's totally bombproof.  I've snagged my forearm downclimbing and almost dangled by my arm before one thread broke and that was it...there is a tiny tiny hole almost unnoticable.  Hood is great...no frills but ideally fit for purpose.

I got mine for 75 quid from keller sports in munich but would happily pay full price.  It's really light too for the toughness and stows very small.

fancied a psiphon fl too but this was way cheaper and I honestly cant imagine the arcteryx jacket being any better!

Ps I have a two year old and regularly take her out in a carrier so I have 20 or so kilos rubbing the shoulders and not a mark.

Hope this helps.

Post edited at 11:42
 tehmarks 16 Jan 2018
In reply to c0sinus:

I have a Squall and have used it for everything from belaying in a gale at Stanage to summer alpinism. Can't fault at at all, it's a brilliant jacket. I did manage to abrade a hole in the front by the pocket, but I think that was through some fairly extreme grit thrutching and not a fault of the jacket itself. Easily fixed with a bit of Tenacious Tape.

TobyA 16 Jan 2018
In reply to c0sinus:

There should be my review of BD Alpine Start Hoody coming out soon. Don't know the other jackets but sounds similar. It's jolly good, not much heavier than a Pertex windproof but tougher and a nicer feeling material. Has a decent hood on it. I've used it rock climbing, winter climbing, hiking, mountain biking. Works well for all.

PPP 16 Jan 2018
In reply to c0sinus:

Another vote for the ME Squall. Used for climbing (quit that), now hiking in both summer and winter (with thicker base layer or even mid layer underneath). It’s going strong and I’m loving it so much I would happily buy another one. It’s faultless, really. It has seen quite few chimneys and heavy rucksacks (30kg+ in rare occasions) throughout the years and yet it has no scuffs.

I think it’s over 3 years old now. I want to have a substitute for it as it gets boring to pack it every time I head to the mountains. Yet I just get it out and use it again. I’d probably buy another one in a different colour, but I have to destroy this one somehow. 

galpinos 17 Jan 2018
In reply to c0sinus:

I'll add my weight to the "I love my Squall" camp. It's my do everything shell.

tom 17 Jan 2018
In reply to c0sinus:

You could also take a look at the Rab Exodus as an alternative.  Perhaps a bit heavy and not 100% windproof (fairly close) which aids breathability.  Takes a 20-30min medium-heavy shower  and bombproof so far - everyday biking with a rucksack + general gritstone abuse. 

Whatever you end up choosing, consider buying second-hand to stretch those pennies...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...