UKC

Lightest crampons (and boots)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 humptydumpty 01 Dec 2017
Thinking of doing the Pyrenees High Route next year, and want to take an axe and crampons so I don't get stopped by glaciers or snow.

What are the lightest crampons that work? I'm guessing some alloy C1s are probably the way to go, along with lightweight boots, but if there's something that actually works and would fit on a trail running shoe, would definitely give it some thought.

The lightest I can find are the Petzl Leopard at 360g. Anyone had a go with these or can recommend alternatives?
 Andypeak 01 Dec 2017
In reply to humptydumpty:

Kahtoola crampons. I've never used them but they claim to be able to go on any shoe or boot
 Tim Davies 01 Dec 2017

Kahtoolahs are fine. Fit most things and work really well especially with good technique.
Also v impressed with the newish Salomon boots which are like a trainer but with a steel shank. X Lab?
 Welsh Kate 01 Dec 2017
In reply to Andypeak:

Kahtoolas are great, you can put them on virtually anything, they're nice and light, and you don't lose as much energy walking as you do in hunkier crampons.
 Dave 01 Dec 2017

I've used the Petzl Leopard whilst ski mountaineering. They have to be fitted tightly to the boots to ensure the linking cords are very tight, otherwise they can pop off. Once thats done they worked very well for steep snow climbing and on glacier ice. They are extremely compact when packed, which is also handy if they are 'just in case' crampons.
mysterion 02 Dec 2017
Camp nanotech are fairly light, steel so none of the drawbacks of aluminium. A bit more aggressively 'crampon' than the Kahtoola steel, which are good too
Post edited at 16:06

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...