UKC

Lightest feasible tent for 3-season in Scotland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 02 Aug 2020

My Force Ten Helium 100 is showing signs of wear and after some fastpacking-esque activity this weekend, I would be happy to retire it for car camping and perhaps keep it for foul weather. It is advertised as 1.25kg-ish tent and I would be happy to drop some weight of that. 

The primary uses would be light and fast run/hikes, perhaps mountain marathons and some long distance hikes in Scotland and maybe even Europe.

I quite fancy Nordisk Lofoten 2 ULW as it would also double for mountain marathons or activities with someone who doesn't mind getting cozy. However, it sounds totally paper thin (7D) and I am not sure it would withstand some abuse in Scotland when it gets a bit windy and wet, especially higher up. 

So... is Lofoten 2 ULW pushing too much for more regular use rather than just racing? I am aware it's too little to be luxurious, but much better than a hooped bivy. 

If it's pushing too far, then what's a reasonable 1 or 2 person tent? 

Andypeak 02 Aug 2020
In reply to PPP:

Do you use walking poles? Tarptent notch is good if you do.

malk 02 Aug 2020
In reply to Andypeak:

yeah, i'm thinking of replacing my old and worn phoenix phreeranger (outer+poles~1kg) with a dd 3x3m tarp on my next walking trip- lots of pitching options and attachment points suitable for 3+ seasons and spacious (2+). the superlight version  is <500g

OwenM 02 Aug 2020
In reply to PPP:

Have a look at Trekkertent, some of theirs are very light and made for Scottish conditions, whereas Tarptent are made for California. 

DaveHK 02 Aug 2020
In reply to OwenM:

> Have a look at Trekkertent, some of theirs are very light and made for Scottish conditions, whereas Tarptent are made for California. 

I've got a Stealth 1.5 and love it but they've stopped production for the time being.

Andypeak 02 Aug 2020
In reply to OwenM:

I've had both and thought the Tarptent were much better designed and far more suitable for British conditions despite them being designed in USA

Dangerous Dave 03 Aug 2020
In reply to PPP:

I recently bought the Nordisk Halland 2 LW which I assume is made of the same materials as the Lofoten? Yes it is very thin and light but if you look after it I can't see why it wouldn't last quite well. 

The floor is the bit that causes me the most concern but unless weight saving is essential I will happy carry in the footprint too. Brings the total weight of it to still under 2kg for a reasonably spacious 2 man tent. The buckles are metal and the straps are all robust material and will outlast the rest of the tent.

I have used it twice so far and I am perfectly happy with it.

galpinos 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Dangerous Dave:

> I recently bought the Nordisk Halland 2 LW which I assume is made of the same materials as the Lofoten? Yes it is very thin and light but if you look after it I can't see why it wouldn't last quite well.

It's not, the Lofoten ULW has a lighter fly and groundsheet.

> The floor is the bit that causes me the most concern but unless weight saving is essential I will happy carry in the footprint too. Brings the total weight of it to still under 2kg for a reasonably spacious 2 man tent. The buckles are metal and the straps are all robust material and will outlast the rest of the tent.

> I have used it twice so far and I am perfectly happy with it.

Dangerous Dave 03 Aug 2020
In reply to galpinos:

> It's not, the Lofoten ULW has a lighter fly and groundsheet.

Cheers, I should have checked.

That must be very thin, I wouldn't want to go any lighter than mine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...