UKC

Loose chalk vs Chalk Balls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 space monkey 26 Oct 2008
Right I get the basics of Chalk balls for the indoor climbing etc, but what about outdoors. Is loose chalk best or chalk balls.
 KarlH 26 Oct 2008
In reply to space monkey:

Surely its down to personal preference.
 petestack 26 Oct 2008

No chalk is best of all, but not always practicable on strenuous routes in warm conditions.
 Rob15 26 Oct 2008
In reply to space monkey: Loose!
 JSA 26 Oct 2008

loose every time and as much as i can possibly use in any given session
 Eddie1234 26 Oct 2008
In reply to space monkey: the way i see it, if you drop a bag of loose chalk its gone, a chalk ball can be recovered and you can carry on using it.
 Liam Copley 26 Oct 2008
In reply to space monkey: balls all the way, i always take a couple of balls where-ever i go

No, seriously, chalk balls all the way!!, or even better, a chalk ball with a bit of loose chalk in the bottom
Froooble 26 Oct 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:
Loose chalk with a chalk call on top.
Froooble 26 Oct 2008
In reply to Froooble:
Ball even
 katie75 26 Oct 2008
In reply to Eddie1234:
> (In reply to space monkey) the way i see it, if you drop a bag of loose chalk its gone, a chalk ball can be recovered and you can carry on using it.

ooh, not that £1.00 worth of chalk!
 zorro 26 Oct 2008

Chalk Pyramid, it allows more space for the chalk to move about and results in better chalk distribution
Metolius super chalk....you'll never use chalk balls again!
 Andrew W 26 Oct 2008
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

I 2nd that Metolius loose chalk (for indoors I put in in a chalk bag)
 Liam Copley 26 Oct 2008
In reply to Froooble: that's what i meant lol
 SFM 27 Oct 2008

I switched to chalk balls about 10 years ago.
On a recent trip to Font I seemed to be the only one not to dump a load of chalk when scrabbling down off the boulders. As has been said above a bit of loose chalk in the bottom and a chalk ball on top gives you the best of both worlds.

Anyone else keep a golf ball sized stone in the bottom of their bag to prevent it being blown upwards and inverting so easily in strong winds?
 osh 27 Oct 2008
In reply to space monkey: For bouldering its handy to have both. Chalk balls are good for drying wet/greasy holds especially in tidal venues.
J1234 27 Oct 2008
Loose, how do you chalk the back of your hands for jamming with balls?
In reply to space monkey: Moon dust, all the way.
neilinut 27 Oct 2008
In reply to J1234:
> (In reply to space monkey)
> Loose, how do you chalk the back of your hands for jamming with balls?

?? back of my hands don't sweat much. I rarely actually rub my hands in the chalk or on the ball. I rattle my hand in the bag and stroke the fur with my finger tips (ohhhh matron!). The static makes it stick to your hands in a fine dust which is all you need.

catt 27 Oct 2008
In reply to SFM:
> Anyone else keep a golf ball sized stone in the bottom of their bag to prevent it being blown upwards and inverting so easily in strong winds?

A small piece of Ardverikie granite
mountainsheep 04 Nov 2008
In reply to space monkey: Old saggy chalk ball at the bottom and topped of with loose chalk.
 Col Allott 04 Nov 2008
In reply to SFM:

> Anyone else keep a golf ball sized stone in the bottom of their bag to prevent it being blown upwards and inverting so easily in strong winds?

No, but you've reminded me of when I was very young and half the height I am now.
I was optimistically trying to do Satin at stanage. My dads mate however was determined I wasn't going to succeed, and proceeded to slowly fill my chalk bag full of rocks, probably doubling my weight at the time!

climberwarley 09 Nov 2008
In reply to space monkey: Use loose chalk. if you are on a crimp are you going to want to squeeze a chalkalk ball or just put your hand in loose chalk
peter pan 09 Nov 2008

Make my own chalk balls up with old socks, coz I'm a tight olde sod.

PP.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...