UKC

NEW REVIEW: Lyon Equipment La Sportiva Batura

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 19 Nov 2009
[La Sportiva Batura, 3 kb]A lthough I've heard people say different things, I find the Batura extremely comfortable, both for climbing and approaches. Sportiva boots usually lend themselves to narrow feet and the Batura is no exception.'ve worn the Baturas on a number of long approaches through steep loose moraine and steep lateral traverses and have found them to perform brilliantly. The light design and low ankle means that in place of stiffer support you have a greater level of movement and consequently jumping from one loose block to another and negotiating loose scree is made significantly easier.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2224
 Morgan Woods 19 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

agree with most of the review especially about the Batura's heal (sic) lift....part of the proble is with the lacing system which i need to re-tighten once or twice each day. Approach-wise a few days in scotland will get the better of the integral gaitor, although they have been fine for typical euro ice approaches in deep snow. Warmth is ok for the weight, though for cold days i pop in a hand warmie into each toe box. I use rambos as well but find the fit ok but the rocker means there is a bit of a gap between boot and crampon....although this isn't a huge problem.
 Ed Booth 19 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: I don't get any heel lift it mine, they fele really nice and snug. They feel awesomely techincal and can't wait to test them on some mixed stuff if we ever get it this season.
 Dane1 20 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Spot on Will. Starting the third season with mine and concour with everything you have said. We must have similar foot profiles. Not that many miles on mine but so far no durability issues. But no rock either.

Hard to dry this one out so a night out will make the next day a little cold I suspect as you have mentioned. Not a two day boot for me in winter. I find the Nepal Evo as warm and with more support but it is no "rock shoe" for weight. Evo is easier to dry as well.

Sad there is so much difference in volume between the Batura and the Baruntse or Spantik. Batura fitted with a light weight and removeable inner boot and 3 more inches of gaiter really would be brilliant.
 RR 01 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:
Although I've haven't used my Baturas too much. Just unlucky only this year in Scotland and a bit in the Alps. On the approach in Scotland I stepped in a snow covered creek up to my ankle. Gaiter is higher than the Cumbre. I thought this high gaiter will keep the water out. The gaiter does but the zipper leeks. So your safety margin is rather small compared to a ‘classic’ boot like Scarpa Cumbre ao. The zipper starts low, see picture. Think also of wet snow.

To say it indiscriminate: People who tell you that this is an ideal winter boot for Scotland, don’t know what they are talking about. A better choice for Scotland is IMO probably the Cumbre or the Trango Extreme EVO Light GTX or the Nepal EVO GTX sedan. If the Trango has the same fit as the Battura? I have wide feet, despite the Batturas feel very okay and very accurate and “narrow” for a big boot.
Is the shoe/zipper to blame? No. Once high or cold enough they work perfect.

The outside is sturdy so far. No visible scratches or crampon holes . Used with Rambos and Makalus. They behave nice on the Silvretta 404 binding as well.
Has anyone else had a problem with these leaking on walk ins, particularly when traveling through soft/deep snow?

I'm contemplating sending mine back after getting very wet feet today.

They have probably been worn for no more than 12 days.
marss 21 Jan 2010
In reply to RR:
Hi there
I got few questions about Batura
In first place i wanted to buy Nepal Evo GTX,red some reviews online and most people were really happy with them..
But, than i found in really good price Batura model, actually they were cheaper than EVO GTX, so I got them

Well, initially i wanted to have a boot for all seasons, but it seems like Batura is not very best choice for summer( obviously deepends on altitiude)

At the moment i am going to be mostly in Tatra mountains, so its over 2000asl
My question is, will i ruin/damage my feet, or boots wearing them in the summer at less or more that altitiude?

many thanks

marss

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...