UKC

Making waterproof maps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'd like to buy/make some small, waterproof maps for various trail races I'm doing.

The waterproof OS maps are too thick and cover too large an area (and I don't want to waste money cutting them up).

The Harvey/BMC "British Mountain Maps" are brilliant, so a customised map on that thin plastic would be perfect, but probably impossible?

Or printing a digital map onto normal paper and then some sort of thin, flexible lamination?

Thanks for any suggestions.
 mp3ferret 30 Apr 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

You can buy an 14 laminator for next to nothing or try

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=64&act...

I've not used it - just noticed on the nikwax site.

mp3ferret 30 Apr 2010
In reply to mp3ferret: correction : A4 laminator
 ebygomm 30 Apr 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: you an buy waterproof paper to go in a printer, both for laserjets and inkjets
 tony 30 Apr 2010

You can buy waterproof paper:
http://www.memory-map.co.uk/acatalog/accessories_waterproof_paper.html

I've never tried it, so I can't vouch for its quality.
 Mark Stevenson 30 Apr 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: Normal paper maps cut down or printed out and then covered both sides with self adhesive covering film (a.k.a. fablon/sticky back plastic) work great. See http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=306...
 Petarghh 30 Apr 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: Memory map, a decent quality plastic wallet and some tape to seal the open end works for me. 1:50k on one side 1:25 on the other.
 Monk 30 Apr 2010

I have used memory maps, printed to A4 and laminated, quite extensively in Scotland and the results are pretty hardy and can survive gentle folding.
In reply to tony:

Looks really interesting. I almost have to buy some because it sounds crazy - if it is waterproof, how on earth does the ink get through???!
 nniff 30 Apr 2010

What I used to do was paint both sides with clear polyurethane varnish. If it was going to get a real hammering, I'd cover the front with very thin sticky-backed plastic and varnish the back. Either way, like this they're a lot tougher than a regular map.

It sometimes changes colour a bit, but if you get the really clear stuff as opposed to the 'clear on wood' stuff it doesn't. Trouble is, you only find out what you've got when you open the tin.

I also used to pick an average high ground contour line and an average low ground contour line and highlight them in pink and yellow respectively so that I could see the dominant features easily.
estivoautumnal 30 Apr 2010
El-Mariachi 30 Apr 2010

Nick,

You can use a full size OS map.

I took a full size OS of Snowdon to a local printing company, where they have large laminators, approx 1000mm+ wide. What you do, or what you ask them is - to fold the map down its length, feed through, then cut gently around the edge with a sharp knife (like opening envelopes) open the map, then fold it the other way, feed through again! open as the first time - a full size laminated map. Cost me around £10

I buy them now though, but you can do large size paper, just fold in half.

Hope this helps
 jamie84 30 Apr 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: Not sure how it works, but I can vouch for its performance. Had a few days out in the lakes with some friends who printed them out that way. You can scrunch it up, get it muddy get it wet.
m0unt41n 30 Apr 2010
In reply to El-Mariachi: Aqua3 laminate OS maps or any map or large paper sheet about £10
http://www.aqua3.com/services.asp
Or if A4 size laminate with MATT pouch so you can write on it in pencil and rub off OK.
 Michael Hood 30 Apr 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: Lots of orienteering events now use maps printed on waterproof paper - usually A4; it works. Doesn't stop them getting muddy though
 Hairy Pete 30 Apr 2010

Have used the laser printer version. It's as good as it says on the tin! Works underwater and you can use waterproof pens on it (including pencil).

Try searching for F100TPD or Hydrocopy (it's about a quarter of the price of 'tough print' here www.consumablemad.co.uk).

jamestheyip 30 Apr 2010
In reply to Mark Stevenson:
> (In reply to Nick Smith - UKC) Normal paper maps cut down or printed out and then covered both sides with self adhesive covering film (a.k.a. fablon/sticky back plastic) work great. See http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=306...

I do that to 2 of my OS maps (Cairngorms and Ben Nevis). Worked great - about the same size as the laminated OS maps but more flexible so that I can just stuff them in my pocket. No leaks in 10 years.
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: You can buy an A4 laminator for about £20 in argos etc. I used this for the Haute Route, I scanned th map then printed it onto normal paper, highlighted the route and hazard etc, put text on if looking out for landmarks etc.
 EZ 30 Apr 2010

I used to use transpaseal as an orienteer http://www.paperandstationery.com/Product.asp?Prd=104N

It does an excellent job.
 Glansa 30 Apr 2010

Another vote for the waterproof paper on the Memory Map site.

It's tough (untearable) and I've only ever smudged it by some heavy rubbing while in pouring rain. If you're paranoid then spray it with the cheapest can of hairspray you can find after the ink has dried.
In reply to Nick B, Another One: Has anyone got some A3 toughprint paper that they would be willing to sell me? I've contacted the company, and unfortunately they only sell packs of 250 sheets

I'd love to buy 5-10 sheets off you if you've got some spare.

Thanks
 Hairy Pete 04 May 2010
> (In reply to Nick B, Another One) Has anyone got some A3
Does it have to be A3? PM me if A4 will do.
 Jim Walton 04 May 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: I've found that the standard sheets that go through a laminator are too thick. The map becomes difficult to stuff into pockets etc.

The the stuff you buy from WHsmiths is the best (and cheapest option). You just require a very flat, clean surface and a ruler/straight edge.

Make sure that the grid line numbers are on the map prior to you laminating.

I've tested toughprint to near destruction for SAR purposes. You can print on it then run it straight under the tap or submerge in water, if you try to screw it up it uncreases most of the way back, if you try to rip it then without cutting an edge first it will just stretch and your map stays pefectly usable with no loss of print (just out of scale for the stretched part).

The only thing I will say against it is that if you print double sided after a long soak some bold details show through from the other side but you can tell thats what happened and both side of the map are still 100% usable and readable.

Writing on dry it accepts pencil or normal biro but in the wet I use a poncey space pen (please don't hold that against me).

Stevo
 threepeaks 05 May 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: I've used this Nick for a while now. It's especially useful for climbing as I don't have to take the whole map and you can print on both sides. Be careful though, although it says it prints out on every printer - I have trouble printing on my HP Deskjet! Great for winter as they fold up real tiny. They're not high resolution but enough to navigate by. Outside in Hathersage sell it and you can get it off the net easily. But if you can get a sheet off a mate to try in your printer first it's worth doing that. Dave S
 royal 05 May 2010
A big sheet of the sticky back transparent plastic laminate stuff with the white and blue striped backing works fine. Used it everywhere from the arctic to the jungle without issues.
 NorthernRock 06 May 2010
In reply to tony:

Waterproof printer paper works, when combined with software that allows you to make legal prints of copywrighted works.

Now this may be against copywright, but for personal use.....
Maybe scan in the part of the map, and print onto waterproof paper, or if you have one ofthose all in one print scan copy things, miss out the scan, and copy straight onto the waterproof paper. I am not sure the paper works in a normal photocopier, has to be inkjet (laser may work, not sure)

I have never done this, just an idea.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...