UKC

Mammut Smart Alpine - Discontinued?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tradical 23 May 2022

Does anyone know what's happened to the Mammut Smart Alpine?

It seems impossible to buy new now, a couple of US based ebay sellers asking a silly amount for one.

They've revised the design as the Smart 2.0, but this is a single rope device.

I wonder if it's just that it was a niche product so there wasn't the market for a double rope assisted lock device, or were there any technical/safety recalls?

jimtitt 23 May 2022
In reply to Tradical:

Discontinued a couple of years ago, it wasn't real good and when the 2 0 came out this was more obvious. There was a plan for an Alpine 2.0 but nothing has happened.

wbo2 24 May 2022
In reply to Tradical: If you want similar, get a GigaJul i.m.o.

PaulJepson 24 May 2022
In reply to Tradical:

Possibly a wild suggestion but can you not just get 2 and put them side-by-side on an HMS?

VictorM 24 May 2022
In reply to PaulJepson:

I'm sure you could but then you might just as well get a Gigajul. The Smart Alpine was an absolute giant of a belay device (in the negative sense of the word). The Gigajul does the same and is much lighter and smaller. 

Carless 24 May 2022
In reply to VictorM:

> The Gigajul does the same and is much lighter and smaller. 

And the Megajul is even smaller and lighter than that

wbo2 24 May 2022
In reply to PaulJepson:  You'll have some interesting things going on when you're trying to take in with one, pay out with the other.  

Also no guide mode.  So probably best not to

james.slater 24 May 2022
In reply to Tradical:

Are you after a new one specifically? Would need to check but im pretty sure I have one at home thats barely used.

Kai 26 May 2022
In reply to Tradical:

I used the Smart Alpine.

Currently, I use the Climbing Technology Alpine Up.

The Alpine Up is the best assisted braking device I've ever used.  Very smooth operation in all configurations.  

I'd recommend it over the Smart Alpine.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...