UKC

Map case for winter use

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steveshaking 03 Jan 2013
I have an Out Door Designs meridian map case. Its OK most of the time, but in winter conditions the plastic is too hard making it difficult to fold and/or to pack away when climbing.
Any recommendations for a map case that works better below zero?
readysalted 03 Jan 2013
1 x hard wearing A4 ziplock document wallet with a bit of tape over the bit where the zip shuts if you want to be extra secure.

Cheap as chips.
 RichardP 03 Jan 2013
In reply to steveshaking:
> Any recommendations for a map case that works better below zero?

what about a laminated map?

Jamie B 03 Jan 2013

I use an Ortleib A5 document case with the map folded to fit. This can be easily stuffed away in a chest pocket until needed. I also remove the cardboard cover from OS maps so that they fold away easily.
 Sharp 03 Jan 2013
In reply to steveshaking: Ortlieb or silva both make good, easily stowable ones. I always like the plain document case style ones.
 AlH 03 Jan 2013
In reply to steveshaking: Ditto to Jamie B except I use BMC Mountain Maps for preference if available for the area I'm visiting. The Ortlieb case grips the rubber feet on a number of compass types making taking bearings more easy/accurate. The A5 size fits in many chest pockets and doesn't flap so easily in a gale- some people use an A4 Ortlieb and fold it in half securing it with a thick rubber band.
 Joe G 03 Jan 2013
In reply to steveshaking: freezer bag
 butteredfrog 03 Jan 2013

+1 for the Ortleb A4 or A5
 Neil Pratt 03 Jan 2013
In reply to butteredfrog:

Ortlieb, and I usually work with a Memory Map printout of the area I'm navigating in. If you put it in the A4 document case, you can quarter it so that it fits securely in your hand on a windy day. If you need to, you can stick a 1:50,000 scale printout on one side, and a 1:25,000 scale in the other if you need additional detail of a particular area.

I usually carry an OS or Harvey's map in my bag/with the group as backup.
 Cameron94 04 Jan 2013
In reply to steveshaking: +1 for ortlieb
 wilkesley 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Cameron94:

Another ortlieb fan. Plus you can use it tp sit on. Mine has had all sorts of abuse and I can still see through the plastic - no misting or scratches. Expensive, but last for years.
 Nath 04 Jan 2013
In reply to wilkesley: another fan of ortlieb, had mine for years, i've got an A4 sized one, easily folds in half and slips into chest pocket or tucked into my rucksacks waist belt.

One of those perfect bits of kit.

Nath
 xplorer 04 Jan 2013

I buy normal unfolded OS maps and use sticky backed plastic to laminate the cut out of the area I'm going to. Less map to mess about with, waterproof and a lot easier to use.
 Welsh Kate 04 Jan 2013
Another vote for Ortlieb - usually an A5 one with the area printed out from Memory Map, case concertinaed up and shoved in the 'wand pocket' (is that an Americanism, what's the British version?!) of my rucksack, with a length of accessory cord tied at one corner of the map case and attached to the rucksack by a mini krab so it can't blow away.
 TobyA 04 Jan 2013
In reply to steveshaking: I've also used Ortleib ones but I'm not convinced they are the be all and end all. My first one eventually went cloudy so that you can't really read through it. T'was rather old though. I bought another and it has managed to get holes in it. Not sure how, and have seal them with tape, but still annoying. Secondly I've found using them whilst kayak touring (mainly smooth lake paddling, nothing extreme) that they are NOT 100% waterproof.
 nniff 04 Jan 2013

Thick polythene. Fold map to desired shape and wrap in polythene and gaffer tape. I shove mine down a gaiter rather than a jacket. Same place the guide book lives.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...