UKC

Marmot Nabu jacket - anyone got one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hfac 17 May 2013
I've got the Marmot Zion jacket, and found it waaaaayyyyy too hot to use in the summer!
Does anyone know if the Nabu is similar to the Zion with regards to the material, or is it a lot thinner, more like the Rab Myriad?

Thanks in advance
Adrian
 TobyA 21 May 2013
In reply to hfac:

> Does anyone know if the Nabu is similar to the Zion with regards to the material, or is it a lot thinner, more like the Rab Myriad?

I've got a Nabu on test for UKC at the mo'. I've used it a lot during one week of ski touring but that's basically it so far. I also reviewed the Zion last year http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=4425 but I don't know the Rab jacket you mention.

The Nabu feels a lot lighter than the Zion but I weighed them both yesterday and its only about 100 grams difference - I was quite surprised at that. It packs down smaller and the material is a lot lighter feeling and more flexible feeling than the Zion. The hood is much better, but being bigger I guess that adds to weight.

My biggest question about it so far is whether the significant air permability of NeoShell means you can feel the wind coming through - I think you can (in difficult conditions admittedly: strong winds and probably temperatures of -5 to -10 or so, and sweaty underneath the jacket); but some friends have been sceptical of this. Would be interested to hear if other Neoshell wearers have found similar.
OP hfac 21 May 2013
In reply to TobyA: That is interesting. I rang up a shop today to ask about the jacket and got told that it's pretty similar in weight to the Zion, and it's probably more geared towards winter/snow/cooler pursuits.
More or less certainly not something I'd want to wear in the summer.
I have used the Zion in winter and it's been brilliant. I hadn't noticed a lot of wind coming through but then I may not have been in such extreme conditions, plus I run hot so if it does seep through I'll just take it as a bit of cooling down.
I'm probably going to have to give up the Zion and save up for another jacket for the winter as I really do need a summer shell and realized I hadn't got one!
I have to say I'm definitely a neoshell convert now having used goretex as well as event in the past.
gearslave 23 May 2013
In reply to hfac: I've had my Nabu for about three months now and so far, so good! I've been using Neoshell for a couple of years now and was really looking forward to this one coming out. It may only be a few grams lighter than the Zion, but it feels like a lot less when on. It is a bit less fussy than the Zion, with the ski pass pocket missing from the arm. The hood is miles better than on the Zion and the fabric being lighter, feels a LOT stretchier. I tend to run a bit hot, so my hopes were high that this might be my 'magic' jacket - able to handle just about any situation. In the cold temps I did notice the cold wind when worn with short sleeves a couple of times. With long sleeves under it, I didn't notice a thing. In the warmer weather, it has been surprisingly good. I can honestly say that it is not noticeably stuffier than the 3 layer Neoshells I own. It may be a touch warmer, but that is to be expected really. In fact the lining (Powerdry High Efficiency) REALLY moves moisture away from the inside - very quickly indeed!
I'm loving this jacket and I'm looking forward to taking it out to the Alps in September - hopefully it will keep me comfy there too..
 TobyA 23 May 2013
In reply to gearslave:
> In the cold temps I did notice the cold wind when worn with short sleeves a couple of times.

Funny, first night I got mine I road up to the shop on it with just a t-shirt underneath and thought I could feel exactly what you say. What do you mean by "cold weather" in this case?

gearslave 23 May 2013
In reply to TobyA: It was only about two or three degrees, but it was very windy and wet. I was mostly assuming the wet was helping conduct away the heat and helping me 'feel' the wind a bit more. It's very similar to the feeling in the three layer Neo that my arm was wet and that my jacket was leaking in very similar circumstances. Arm bone dry, it just felt wet if you know what I mean?
 TobyA 23 May 2013
In reply to gearslave:
> Arm bone dry, it just felt wet if you know what I mean?

Yes, a weird sensation. But I'm particularly interested in the suggestion that NeoShell isn't really windproof because it's so breathable. I've never found that with the Zion, but the face fabric seems thicker on that jacket which must have an effect?

gearslave 24 May 2013
In reply to TobyA: Not something I've ever experienced I have to say. I have used a prototype Neoshell bivvy and in gale force winds, all I noticed was a very subtle, but pleasant 'air circulation' within. Less wind proof? Possibly. Detrimental to the user? Far from it! Never felt that the wind has been a problem in any of my Neoshell items. It is noticeably cooler than XCR (the last time I wore Gore), but that was the same sensation I noticed when I switched to eVent. Neoshell (including the Nabu) does this over eVent again! At the end of the day, I see this as something that lets you stay buttoned up and active for longer without getting all soggy in there - and that is why you're wearing your waterproof or soft shell/waterproof for in the first place!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...