UKC

Me Boots Don't Fit Me Crampons!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Collins 16 Mar 2018

I thought I'd get some crampons (Petzl Vasak) with toe bail and heel clip for my boots (La Sportiva Trango Ice Cube GTX). All seemed fine, clipped in and snug until I turned the boot and crampon combo over, only to find the front section of the crampon had a bias toward the instep:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/13316285@N04/40839662811/in/dateposted-public...

Has anyone else experienced this particular problem please or have any ideas how to solve it? Having seemingly got as far as putting the left crampon on the left boot, my own thoughts are that a straighter linking bar might be the answer. However, the only alternatives offered by the manufacturer are seemingly a more flexible version of the bars I already own and an asymmetrically curved bar which I wondered might even exacerbate the problem. I've done a lot of trawling on the web but can't find much to be honest. The review of the boot on this site matches it to crampons that were around at the time but unfortunately the manufacturer appears to have overhauled their offerings since then.

Dark-Cloud 16 Mar 2018
In reply to Mark Collins:

Doesn't look too bad, what happens if you flip the bars over, or is that a stupid idea ?

OP Mark Collins 16 Mar 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Yes it ain't too bad as you say Rich but I may have to go double penguin to prevent the constant urge to hook myself up in my gaiters. It could get very John Wayne and frankly, I don't think I have the presence to carry it off. Will try your idea thanks, there are no stupid ideas at this stage.

Smelly Fox 16 Mar 2018

Looks fine to me...

Have you tried walking in them like that? You might find they are fine. I'd prefer a more asymmetric fit for climbing anyway. Suppose it depends what you are doing.

CurlyStevo 16 Mar 2018

You could try the bails of a different make of crampons. You could probably take your boots and crampons in to a helpful shop and they may let you try and couple of different bails (they are all different shapes and can may quite a big difference). Needlesports sell the bails for quite a few difference crampons btw.

I agree with the others though that they don't look that bad. Just not probably the best fit you could have got if you'd shopped around a bit.

As a side point I think c2 crampons are better than c3 for horizontal front points. When they fit well c3 crampons are IMO more solid than c2 , there is literally zero play and they really can't fall off. Also the fit doesn't change much at all as the soles on your boots wear (whilst with c2 it does) also the front welt can become compromised too.  I also find bail bars do slowly bend with time.  C2 are also quicker and easier to take on and off too. I'm personally not a huge fan of the petzl vasak c2 bail as immovable posts are IMO a little bit better and can't be bent etc.

Post edited at 14:43
 Fiona Reid 16 Mar 2018

The asymmetric bars should sort this. I had the same issue with size Scarpa Cumbre and both DMM Gladiator and Petzl Lynx crampons being offset on the toe section. 

With the asymmetric bars I now have a perfect fit with the Lynx. Sadly with my DMMs I'm already using the most curvy bar that fits them so just have to be aware I'm walking on my instep. I find it's not an issue actually climbing but I do notice it a bit when walking. 

Before buy some new bars, you can also experiment with the bar you're using as there's two parallel sets of holes which give a few degrees curvature difference depending on which one you use. 

In addition, you can also reposition your toe bail (and maybe the heel bail too) such that one side is in the front hole and the other in the rear. If you do that along with making sure you've selected the most curved option on your existing bar you might just get them to fit. If your crampons are new and sharp be careful trying to get the bails out of their holes... the instructions have some suggestions on how to remove them but gardening gloves and making sure you aren't likely to be impaled might be a good idea.

FWIW, the fit you have isn't as bad as I had (I've got small feet and thus asymmetric boots are very curved). I tried moving the bails etc but couldn't get enough from doing that so used the asymmetric bars instead. 

CurlyStevo 16 Mar 2018
In reply to Fiona Reid:

The problem with the asymmetric bars is they make your front points point inward. I prefer to get front points that are in line with my kick and big toes

For Cumbres the following works well:

Rambo IV out of the box, nie on perfect

G12 / G14 with rambo bail

rambo bails also work well with these boots on other crampons too.

black diamond c2 sabretooth. ( wouldn't be suprised if many other bd c2 fittings are fine too)

Conversely most people in the past have found asymmetric boots are more of an issue in larger sizes with regards to crampon fit. I have Freneys but its the same sole as Cumbres.

Post edited at 15:13
 abcdef 16 Mar 2018

They don't look too wrong. If these are anything like the Lynx then they are designed to point inward - something about being a more natural/neutral front-pointing position. Whether that then makes general walking in them more problematic i am unsure.

rocksol 16 Mar 2018

No different fit  to my  Grivels on Scarpa boots and I've used them on steep ice and ski tours

OP Mark Collins 17 Mar 2018

Great answers everyone thank you, will have a play with them and let you know how I get on  

OP Mark Collins 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Thanks for sharing your expert knowledge. I had another play with them as you describe, but ultimately couldn't get much improvement. Admittedly throughout this, I haven't done a step outdoors in them. Went for the asymmetric bars in the end, and after a bit of hammering, ended up with a much better fit:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/13316285@N04/40229302124/in/dateposted-public...

colinakmc 21 Mar 2018
In reply to CurlyStevo:

"Conversely most people in the past have found asymmetric boots are more of an issue in larger sizes with regards to crampon fit. I have Freneys but its the same sole as Cumbres."

+1 from me, both with Cumbres and Freneys. My reaction was to just get on with it. Haven't had too much of a problem - yet - !

Post edited at 13:57
 Fiona Reid 21 Mar 2018

Happy to help   here's hoping winter keeps going a bit longer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...