UKC

Merino t shirt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zarathustra 04 May 2021

Hello, 

Can anybody recommend an aesthetically pleasing merino t shirt for outdoor use, please?

I’ve been holding out for a Rapha one but they’ve been out of stock for ages. 

Cheers. 

streapadair 04 May 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

I get mine from Howies or Isobaa. Aesthetic pleasure is in the eye of the beholder though.

TobyA 04 May 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

Whatever brand you get if 100 percent wool it won't last that long in active use. I'd go for cheap as possible (Decathlon normally I've found) if it's for more than just looking good.

Marek 04 May 2021
In reply to streapadair:

Another tick for Howies. But then I've also got perfectly good ones from DHB (Wiggle) and M&S.

ebdon 04 May 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

Stoic or icebreaker for bling designs.

Not the cheapest though

Rich L 04 May 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

Icebreaker every time for me, but only if discounted; keep an eye on Sportspursuit.

I also have several from Decathlon, but they never seem to last as long, always quicker to get eaten by moths, despite my best efforts, though I can recommend the blue Simond one in their current stock.

In reply to zarathustra:

Icebreaker. If you buy them at the wrong time of year they're way cheaper.

JohnV 04 May 2021
In reply to TobyA:

What about animal welfare considerations, ahead of price, and aesthetics?

There are mulesing-free merino garments available.

In reply to JohnV:

> There are mulesing-free merino garments available.

Yes, and you can buy them from Decathlon:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-mountain-trekking-long-sleeved-t-shirt-...

Under 'Technical Information':

"WHAT IS OUR COMMITMENT TO ANIMAL WELFARE?
We only use wool from merino sheep bred on farms in South Africa that do not practise mulesing.
We decided to build a partnership with a group of breeders (Konsortium Merino) to guarantee respect for animal welfare and the environment.
This means we have full traceability, which allows us to guarantee the origin of the wool."

Marmolata 05 May 2021
In reply to TobyA:

My merino shirts outlast cotton every time. Make sure to use a detergent without enzymes. And don't wash after every use.

wbo2 05 May 2021
In reply to zarathustra: you can get good and bad in either material.  I've got some Mons Royale stuff that is very good, but non sale prices are painful

tjdodd 05 May 2021
In reply to Marmolata:

> My merino shirts outlast cotton every time. Make sure to use a detergent without enzymes. And don't wash after every use.

I agree.  I use icebreaker merino t-shirts for outdoor and everyday use and they last years.  When they do eventually start falling apart I bury them in the garden and they compost away nicely.

LastBoyScout 05 May 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

I've got few Icebreaker ones and they are great.

SportPursuit usually have a load of Isobaa (I've got a couple of them) and a load of other brands.

Becky E 05 May 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

The Rab Forge is my new favourite.  It's a merino blend, and it seems to be more robust than a pure merino.

It also looks nice - I've got away with wearing mine to work as well as outdoors.

LastBoyScout 05 May 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

Endura (the cycling company) also do some merino stuff.

OP zarathustra 05 May 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Thanks everybody!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...