UKC

Montane Resolute Smock?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bradzy_c 24 Oct 2012
Just a quick one really,

Was wondering if any had the Resolute Smock? Doing a bit in Scotland and Norway over Christmas and was looking for a soft shell and belay jacket. From what I've read this could be two birds with one stone.

Any thoughts on this?

Brad
 alexm198 24 Oct 2012
In reply to bradzy_c: I've got a Resolute and while I bought it hoping to do exactly the things you've mentioned, it actually isn't that practical.

Bloody thing is so bulky, I find it just hopeless as a belay jacket, unless you want it to take up half your pack. If you're willing to sacrifice the space to accommodate it though, it's very toasty and the 'EPIC' material shell they use is, as far as I can tell, a lot more waterproof than they give it credit for on Montane's website (actually more like a hardshell.)

I love mine, but it doesn't get much use in anger.
matejn 24 Oct 2012
In reply to alexm198: Hi!
I´m also considering Resolute smock, but not as a belay jacket, but rather as a climbing jacket that you put on at the start and take off when you are done. Have you use it as a climbing jacket also. How are the sleeves when reaching over head, and does the hem rises a lot from under your harness.
 Taba 24 Oct 2012
In reply to matejn:

I had a montane extreme and liked it but wanted; a better hood, stronger material and a more technical cut. The first two criteria are more than met by the resolute but I tried one on and found the sleeves too short in the size small, and only just long enough in the medium, which in turn is far too baggy in the body. So close but yet so far.
bradzy_c 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Taba: Is the extreme warm enough to be used as a belay jacket? Nipping down to the shops tonight for a gander methinks.

Brad
 Denni 25 Oct 2012
In reply to bradzy_c:

I borrowed a mates Patagonia Winter Sun hoody last year for the winter as he was in Afghan and all he did was rave about it. Used it for a couple of gully routes on the Ben, used it in Lofoten on some ice and used It for skiing in Banff and the temp was easily minus 30.

I found it to be one of the best bits of kit I've used and have since bought one. I found all I had to do was regulate what I was wearing underneath. When I walked into the Ben, it was too hot so it was in the sack and came out as soon as we got to the CIC.

When I was climbing and skiing, all I had on was a Helly Hansen base layer and a long sleeved t shirt. When I felt the cold a bit, I put a Patagonia pullover on and I was toasty.

Can't recommend it enough. Hope this helps, Den

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=4068
 TobyA 25 Oct 2012
In reply to bradzy_c: You don't want a smock for a belay jacket, it's just too much hassle to get on and off. Have a read of this: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1375
 Dan_S 25 Oct 2012
In reply to bradzy_c:

I have the Resolute smock, and it's a cracking jacket, but not really a belay jacket (I don't think any of the pile/pertex jackets/smocks are really suitable for that sort of job.) it's the sort of item of clothing that you stick on at the beginning of the day, and leave on until you get back. I feel the cold badly and I find in Scotland, I only need a light weight belay jacket to throw over it occasionally.

If you want a versatile layering system, have a look at getting something like a Powersheild Pro jacket with high loft inner (like the Mountain Equipment Pulsar or Rab Baltoro Guide) and lightish weight belay jacket to put on when you're stationary etc.
matejn 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Dan_S:
This is what I wanted to hear. I have an Extreme jacket and I´m familiar with the concept. I just want something that is a bit more water resistant and durable. It seams that Resolute smock fits the bill. How do you find the cut of the Resolute. I´m 6 Ft amd 175 lbs and was thinking of getting size L.
 Dan_S 25 Oct 2012
In reply to matejn:

I'm 6ft2, and 187lb (40" chest, 34" waist), and I've got a Medium.

I find the cut great, similar to the extreme smock (which I had prior to this), but I think the arms are possibly a bit longer. It doesn't ride up when I lift my arms, and the hood swallows my helmet nicely (!)
matejn 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Dan_S:
Thank´s! I have 32˝ waist, 40˝ chest, so I think I will also go with size M.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...