UKC

MSR Hubba/Hubba Hubba

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nordie_matt 26 Feb 2013
Hi all, I wondering if anyone has had any experience of the MSR hubba for solo trips, or indeed if the hubba hubba is worth the extra weight for the space?

In addition would anyone know of any stockists around The Peak District?

Cheers, Matt
 Jo Morrison 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Nordie_matt:

I have a MSR Hubba Hubba but have only used it a couple of times. I bought it in the US so don't know about UK stockists. Here's a link to a US review where it was not highly rated.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Tent-Reviews?n=20&sort_field=...

Some of the US suppliers may deliver to the UK and the prices may make this worth it.
 geordiepie 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Nordie_matt:

Seems I only ever post in response to questions on this tent cos I like it that much......

I have the Hubba Hubba HP - it's pretty roomy for the weight, more than enough space for 2 plus kit. I've used it solo in Winter and it's verging on luxurious if you're in there by yourself. If you only intend to use it solo I'm sure the 1 man version would be adequate.

If you can, get the HP version as it's designed for colder/wetter conditions (less mesh on inner and lower fly).
OP Nordie_matt 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Nordie_matt:
Cheers guys, Geordiepie, do you find that it's stable enough for wild camps when the wind kicks up? I'm hoping to use it year round in Scotland, Lakes and N.wales amongst others
 David Cowley 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Nordie_matt: I have the hubba HP, superb if you don't mind the cramped inside but saying that the porch is big enough for your gear. Also if you stuff the tent minus the poles and pegs into a stuff sack it compresses really small and takes up minimal space. You might want to get some better pegs tho!! Its performed well in strong winds and really long persistant rain, it's looks good as well. Go for it you won't regret it
 geordiepie 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Nordie_matt:

Yeah it's been pretty stable in the weather I've used it in....I've never used it in a real nasty storm but it's had a fair battering a few times and I've not been unduly worried.

Pitch it into the prevailing wind and try to find at least some shelter and it's fine
 TobyA 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Nordie_matt: I've had the Hubba for a number of years - would like a Hubba Hubba too, but mainly only because it has the BEST NAME EVER.

My thoughts are it is a good little tent but if I bought again I'd pay the extra for the HP version to make it better for winter. The mesh inner is nice in summer but powdery snow can get blown under the outer in winter and gets through the mesh. I tend to build some sort of wall around it now for winter use (see the pic in this post: http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2013/01/buffets-donut-and-other-storie... ). I'm also annoyed there isn't a zip on the non-door side of the inner to allow you to use the space under the fly at the back without going outside. Could be really useful if there was one. It has minimal guying - again N. American three seasons I guess - but it stayed up and kept me dry on wild and wooly night in upper Glen Nevis a couple of autumns back so works fine if pitch well. I wanted a semi-free standing tent because of the granite slabs that are typical when kayak touring round my way and it works ok then although you need to tie on cord to use rocks instead of pegs. I had always thought the pegs were rather good until ice.solo here on UKC jinxed it by saying they were crap. A couple of days later was putting the tent up and hammer the pegs in with my Viper. Broke one head clean off which rather supports his opinion! Although they seem fine in warmer summer temps.

Mine was well priced when I got it - nothing else close in weight for that money at least back then.
 David Barratt 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Nordie_matt: I have the MSR Hubba. It is bigger than many solo tents and my first big trip was two weeks of research in the alps. plenty of room for all the gear. you can buy a porch to add extra storage space. there was one advertised on UKC a while back that I don't think it was sold. I have had two sleep in the tent, that was a bit tight but do-able. Packs down very small. I stuff mine into an XS dry bag (5L i think?)and then have the poles on the side.
OP Nordie_matt 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Nordie_matt:

Thanks for all the responses guys, I had read good things about it but it's always good to get a (reasonably) non biased response.

I just need to justify buying it to the missus
 David Cowley 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Nordie_matt: Oh its pretty robust as well. While pitching in masham in seriously strong winds I was just pegging it down when a strong gust took it out my mates hand. It tumbled towards the barn, hit it flew up and over the barn (about 5m high) over the wall onto the road, into an oncoming car, hit the car and landed in the Ditch at side of road, a good 80m journey. The only injury to the tent was a small 2 inch rip in the fly sheet which repaired easy. After this it was the only tent out of about 5 not to be tied to a car and survived the onslaught during the night. So defo a hard wearing robust number
ceri 01 Mar 2013
In reply to Nordie_matt: We have a hubba hubba HP. Love it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...