UKC

New Alpkit tents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kalna_kaza 30 Mar 2021

Alpkit have a couple of new tents coming out including one with an inflatable pole (in 1p and 2p options).

The other uses walking poles but looks a little coffinesque  for my liking. We'll have to wait for real world reviews.

https://alpkit.com/blogs/develop/new-pole-free-backpacking-tents 

Tony Buckley 30 Mar 2021
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

I looked at the link, but failed to see internal dimensions.  Based on other tents generally, and Alpkit specifically (though they aren't alone by any means), the internal dimensions of lightweight tents aren't sufficient to accommodate someone of my height, six foot three-ish.  A lightweight tent with an internal length of 220 - 230 cm would fit into a sales niche that has few others in it and should sell in a volume enough to make it profitable.

What have tent manufacturers got against tall people, that they expect us not to be interested in lightweight gear?  Harrumph, etc.

T.

OP Kalna_kaza 30 Mar 2021
In reply to Tony Buckley:

It's definitely a false economy making tents as light as possible only to utterly compromise on any sort of comfort. 

Outside of the mountain marathon market most people aren't going to notice any extra 200g but many, including yourself I'm guessing, notice the lack of space. I notice Alpkit now do the soloist in a longer version, which even at 175cm I would have bought over the original.

TobyA 30 Mar 2021
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

> Outside of the mountain marathon market most people aren't going to notice any extra 200g

I'm looking for a lightweight 1 man tent currently, and I don't think that's really true. When you are trying to get your pack weight down as much as possible, 200 grams is actually quite a lot - it's a fifth off a kg tent for example! As a proportion of a 2 kg tent its obviously less, but I'm considering spending about double the price to get a Scottish made tent that is under 800 grams compared to a Chinese one that is a bit under a 1000 grams. It's quite a big price difference for 200 grams less, but I have a couple of other 1 man tents (both over a 1 kg) and whilst both great in various respects, I really want something lighter for bikepacking and maybe backpacking sometimes too.

The pump up one looks interesting but isn't actually super-light. Vango makes a similar design airbeam tent that is well under a kilo, but - oh dear, its pricey!

A Reid 30 Mar 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Just wondered who makes tents in Scotland?

DaveHK 31 Mar 2021
In reply to A Reid:

> Just wondered who makes tents in Scotland?

Trekkertent. http://www.trekkertent.com/home/17-tents

I have a Stealth 1.5 and it's superb.I've sung it's praises on here a few times, just don't order one of you're in a hurry.

Post edited at 06:41
 neuromancer 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

"Knowing that this tent would be ideal for bikepacking, we’ve included a Schrader valve on the air pole"

What are you bikepacking in, the 90s? Nobody uses schrader valves for bikes. They use them for cars. You know who does use schrader valves for bikes? Your crap, discount chinese supplier on aliexpress.

galpinos 31 Mar 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

All the tubes for sale on their (Alpkit's) site are presta......

OP Kalna_kaza 31 Mar 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

I agree it seems a little odd using the Schrader valve type. I'm not convinced by air tube tents, for bike or backpacking at least.

maxsmith 31 Mar 2021
In reply to TobyA:

I seem to remember reading on another thread that you don't like tarps...but I've had a bit of a tarp epiphany in recent years.  I know the limitations re the mighty midge but my two person tarp is only 400g (add another 150g for pole and pegs if I'm pitching somewhere with no trees).  Also way more headroom for cooking than these tiny ultralight tents and much much cheaper, what's not to like?

jimtitt 31 Mar 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

We bikepack with Schrader valves because we have motorbikes, the pedal guys can carry an adaptor or is that too complicated?

galpinos 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

We have a Decathlon inflatable for car camping and it's ace. I can't imagine trying to pump up the Alpkit with my tiny bike pump after a long day......

Jon Greengrass 31 Mar 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

I've drilled out the rims on my MTBs for Schrader valves because it makes it easier to seat tubeless tyres. Admittedly traditional road and touring rims are not wide enough for Schrader drilling, but that is not Alpkit's market, even their road bikes come with 19mm internal width rims which would have been considered wide on a mountain bike in the 1990s. Presta valves are going to become a relic of a bygone age when roadies believed that narrow rims and 18mm tyres were faster.

Besides all my pumps have a quick change head that does presta/schrader, the only pumps I've ever seen that only do presta are those old fashioned frame pumps that use the screw on adapters hidden in the pump handle. 

TobyA 31 Mar 2021
In reply to maxsmith:

I've used a tarp lots for years, but 1) not good in midge or mosquito country, and 2) no privacy if you camping on a campsite or with other people about.

Siward 31 Mar 2021

I'm your height and I can fit into the predecessor of one of these comfortably enough :

https://www.lightwave.uk.com/products/tents/raid?product=product1

Tony Buckley 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Siward:

Wasn't aware of that tent.  You fitting into it isn't unrelated to the internal length of 225 cm; as I noted, a length between 220 and 230 cm is necessary.

But I now know more than I did, which is always a good thing, so thanks for that.

T.

neuromancer 31 Mar 2021
In reply to jimtitt:

That's motorcycle touring, not bikepacking mate. And I disapprove of your burning fossil fuels as a leisure activity .

jimtitt 31 Mar 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

Says someone driving a 2l Ford Mondeo.......

planetmarshall 31 Mar 2021

> What have tent manufacturers got against tall people, that they expect us not to be interested in lightweight gear?  Harrumph, etc.

Haven't measured the internal dimensions, but my Hilleberg Alto is quite long. Built for Nordic dimensions, maybe?

phizz4 31 Mar 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

All 4 of the bikes in my household have schrader valves! I use the car tyre inflater to pump them up. What's wrong with schrader, more reliable than presta. Having said that, all my bikes have 26inch wheels, so I'm real oldschool.

Pb-climb-up 31 Mar 2021
In reply to maxsmith:

By no means am I bashing tarps but I recall seeing a chap take about 20 minutes setting his up, only for him to step back to admire his handiwork, trip over the guy line and it to collapse onto the ground. Erect with caution moral of the storey!

beardy mike 01 Apr 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

Why would it even matter seeing as most bike pumps do both valves?

DaveHK 01 Apr 2021
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Very low ended saggy inner on the walking pole model. Potential for that to be a real issue especially for taller users.

Edit: actually, I think it was the inflatable one I was looking at. The other one looks low too though. Alpkit have a bit of previous with flawed tent designs so maybe worthwhile not being an early adopter here!

Post edited at 07:39
 PPP 01 Apr 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

> Very low ended saggy inner on the walking pole model. Potential for that to be a real issue especially for taller users.

> Edit: actually, I think it was the inflatable one I was looking at. The other one looks low too though. Alpkit have a bit of previous with flawed tent designs so maybe worthwhile not being an early adopter here!

I’ll never forget Alpkit gaiters coming with plastic tags pierced through them. Came with 4 holes in total before even putting them on. 

Dark-Cloud 01 Apr 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

I saw one of their Ordos pitched at an event and it looked awful, when pitched the inner and outer were about 10mm away from each other, in the morning with a heavy dew it had sagged and the outer had clagged it to the inner, it looked filthy wet and this was spring ! Must have been miserable inside the thing.

jt232 01 Apr 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks! 

Been on the lookout for a lightweight tent for awhile and these look really cool, perhaps my search is over.....

Dark-Cloud 01 Apr 2021
In reply to jt232:

Yep, they look good don't they, makes my TN Laser Comp look heavy and bad value !

Post edited at 16:01
 DaveHK 01 Apr 2021
In reply to jt232:

> Thanks! 

> Been on the lookout for a lightweight tent for awhile and these look really cool, perhaps my search is over.....

Just make sure you order well in advance, it's literally just one guy with a sewing machine. He's a decent bloke and you'll get a tent eventually but there are lots of tales of people getting sent the wrong tent and waiting months for a replacement. I ended up meeting him at Perth services to get mine before a trip!

There's an owner's group on FB and second hand ones turn up from time to time.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1532197350413278?group_view_referrer=search

Post edited at 16:12
 DaveHK 01 Apr 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Yep, they look good don't they, makes my TN Laser Comp look heavy and bad value !

I had a laser comp before the trekkertent and the trekkertent is way better. The only negative is that they are fiddlier to pitch than more traditional designs.

Dr.S at work 02 Apr 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

How are the stealths in strong wind? I always wonder why they don’t have a pointy end at the bottom.

DaveHK 02 Apr 2021
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> How are the stealths in strong wind? I always wonder why they don’t have a pointy end at the bottom.

The surface area of the rear is small and it's solidly anchored so it's not a problem. The main issue is side winds as the side panel is pretty big. I've used it through fairly typical 3 season weather but probably wouldn't use it in very high winds. Horses for courses and all that.

neuromancer 02 Apr 2021
In reply to jimtitt:

You went six months back in my post history to find out that I own a cheap, high mpg and economical car and decided that is somehow equivalent to trashing the countryside on a two-stroke for giggles? You are an odd nerd.

jimtitt 03 Apr 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

You mean the fuel-injected, cat equipped Yamaha road bike that I use to go climbing? It's a four stroke.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...