UKC

New boot decision

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ant466 19 Nov 2018

So Ive a pair of basic walking boots, nothing special. But I’m looking to upgrade in the next few months to something that is more capable. I would like a boot that will scramble fairly well and be suitable in the summer, but also be crampon compatible to do some winter stuff in the UK.

Ive been looking at the Scarpa ribelle lite od - https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/scarpa-ribelle-lite-od-mens-boots-p462334

They seem to fit the bill pretty well, but worry they are over kill for summer routes.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

or other suggestions on a good all rounder boot as I really like to avoid two pairs!

In reply to Ant466:

We're testing those now and they're excellent. A bit flexible for proper front pointing (at least in my size 46.5) but very light, and nimble enough for year-round use. Nice to scramble in, but yes they're overkill for warm summer days for sure: All boots are, arguably! That's the sort of compromise you've got to make if you want a single pair for year-round use.

I'd call them a B1.5 in terms of winter capability so if it's mostly winter walking you're planning to do, or just easier winter mountaineering routes (I/II sort of ground) then they'd be ideal.

However there are loads of other options. We've got a group test in production now covering exactly this sort of year-round, all-round mountain boot (B1.5 / B2) so if you can wait til it's published late January then we should have answers to all those questions.

Here are the models we're looking at:

Hanwag Ferrata Combi GTX

Mammut Kento High GTX

AKU Tengu GTX 

La Sportiva Trango Tower GTX

Scarpa Ribelle Lite OD

Salewa MS Vultur EVO GTX

Dolomite Torq Tech GTX

Kayland Cross Mountain

Some might be closer to B1, others you might call B2. It's an imprecise science, and I reckon B1.5 is as good a category as any.

I can't yet recommend one over any other - from what I've seen so far they're all good. It's what fits you best that counts most of course.

Andy Hardy 19 Nov 2018
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

[...]

> I'd call them a B1.5 in terms of winter capability so if it's mostly winter walking you're planning to do, or just easier winter mountaineering routes (I/II sort of ground) then they'd be ideal.

[...]

> Some might be closer to B1, others you might call B2. It's an imprecise science, and I reckon B1.5 is as good a category as any.

[...]

Please don't start creating more confusion about boots: B1.5 is not a category. It's like E0, it doesn't exist. If you think a model of boot is not suitable for semi-auto crampons, just say so.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...