UKC

New Five Ten - sizing changes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lightninwolf32 05 Jul 2019

A lot of online retailers appear to have recently acquired new stock of classic Five Ten models (e.g. Anasazi VCS, Moccasym). From what I can remember reading production was on hold for a while after the Adidas takeover?

I was just wondering if anyone could advise if these 'new' shoes have the same sizing as previous, or if they have changed (i.e. does a size 9 still feel the same or are they bigger/smaller). I note that the new shoes say in 'made in China' on the box, which wasn't on the old ones. I'm unsure whether they have changed production location or not.

Hope that makes sense! Cheers.

sgl 05 Jul 2019
In reply to lightninwolf32:

I bought a pair of pinks recently (made in China ones), I’ve always worn an 8.5 in them (multiple previous pairs) which is about a full size down from my shoe size. The new 8.5 were agony to get on and when matched up to my previous pair (USA made ones) looked about a cm shorter on the sole. Sent them back and got a 9, still don’t feel quite right but that may be in my head now!

Post edited at 14:51
Removed User 06 Jul 2019

>  I was just wondering if anyone could advise if these 'new' shoes have the same sizing as previous,

Nope.

>  or if they have changed

Yup.

>  I note that the new shoes say in 'made in China' on the box, which wasn't on the old ones. I'm unsure whether they have changed production location or not.

They have.

The new models are trying to be more in line with your street shoe sizing. After trying the new lines and upcoming ones I am a 9/10 in street shoes and found the 9’s to feel fine. 

The beginner shoes should give a nice beginner feel (bit looser) whereas the performance shoes should give a tight performance fit. 

HeMa 06 Jul 2019
In reply to sam.sam.sam.ferguson:

> The beginner shoes should give a nice beginner feel (bit looser) whereas the performance shoes should give a tight performance fit. 

To be fair, 510 have had that practice as far as I remember (so at least since late 90s).

Not withstanding any slight changes in design due to moving production to China, Adidas have in their wisdom altered the UK sizing. Previously a size 9USA was the same as a size 8UK (which is the generally accepted sizing throughout the UK outdoor market). However on the latest batch of shoes, a size 9USA = 8.5UK (etc). So if you order your normal UK8 then you will receive a USA8.5, not USA 9. 

Thus to get the same size as your old pair, order the same size if you are based in America and half a size larger if you are based in Britain.

The situation is complicated by the fact that some shops, ours included, have a mixture of old and new shoes, though in our case only in fairly small sizes.

In reply to Stephen Reid - Needle Sports:

Ah OK, that would explain a lot. I just checked my older five ten shoe boxes and like you say there is a full size difference between us/uk, whereas with the new shoes there is only half a size difference.

An ingenious method for five ten to confuse everyone...

TXG 06 Jul 2019

I'm a long time Pink wearer and have just got a pair of the pinks from the new factory, I'd count them as a totally different model of shoe to the US made ones. 

The sizing is different as mentioned above.

The rand on the new shoes is much higher around the toes leading to a less precise fit.

The new pair have much less heel tension.

There are other production blips  (on my left shoe the sole rubber projects out from the toe at 45 degrees like a front point on a crampon).

Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware of the varibles in the US made shoes, but the pair I have feel like the whole shoe has totally changed its feel/purpose.

I think that after nearly 20 years this will be my last pair of 5.10s

Cheers

Tom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...