UKC

New Grivel Twin Gate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
T_Mac 23 Jan 2014
youtube.com/watch?v=jkraPv-I_Bk&

Looks pretty interesting, could solve a few worries.....what are peoples thoughts?
 StuMsg 23 Jan 2014
In reply to T_Mac:

So something like this:

http://rockexotica.com/products/carabiners/rockd_bi_wire.html

Doubt I will ever buy either
 fire_munki 23 Jan 2014
In reply to T_Mac:

Looks good from a tech point of view but seams a bit like it's in search of a problem.

Going to weigh more, replacing full racks will be pricey.
 crayefish 23 Jan 2014
In reply to T_Mac:

Nice idea but imagine trying to clip while pumped... especially with gloves on! Too much faff for me.
T_Mac 23 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

I reckon it would be good for belaying but I agree, i wouldn't want to try clipping desperately.....
 alooker 23 Jan 2014
In reply to T_Mac:

Interesting solution but far too faffy for most I reckon, would be a right old pain clipping when pumped, with a really far reach and especially with gloves I on. Looks big/heavy too, you could likely replace all crabs with phantom lockers/other lightweight locker so that clipping is easier and you can lock the gate at your leisure when you're clipped in. I'll stick to wire gates!
 spidermonkey09 23 Jan 2014
In reply to T_Mac:

They look nice for belaying/rigging but a complete pain for quickdraws, as well as a bit heavy. Having got used to phantoms though I guess everything will seem heavy!
 crayefish 23 Jan 2014
In reply to T_Mac:

I'd still have a screwgate for belaying so not sure where this krab fits it. As alooker said, a phantom locker would be better if you want to save grams.
T_Mac 23 Jan 2014
In reply to T_Mac:

I know its 'reinventing the wheel' a bit but it certainly has an interesting take on security. At the end of the video there are four different types, the main one used in the video looks like the third one, the hms which I personally would be happy to use for belaying but the first one looks like it would be easier to handle for clipping. I hope they're not prohibitively expensive.
 SteveoS 23 Jan 2014
In reply to T_Mac:

-£ -$ -€ for me.

+£ +$ +€ for Grivel.
matejn 24 Jan 2014
In reply to T_Mac:

I'm more interested in that Grivel climbing harness Steve is wearing.
In reply to T_Mac:

It looks as if it would be good for a locking krab that would not freeze up in winter.
 Landy_Dom 26 Jan 2014
In reply to T_Mac

I think what appeals most to me is the idea of using them for quickdraws on stuff like run out bolted slate where you're looking at long falls onto single bolts, and an unclip would result in decking. Bit of extra security....

jezb1 26 Jan 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

> -£ -$ -€ for me.

> +£ +$ +€ for Grivel.

Sums it up for me.

Nice idea, but is it solving any real problem?
 Timmd 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Landy_Dom:
> In reply to T_Mac

> I think what appeals most to me is the idea of using them for quickdraws on stuff like run out bolted slate where you're looking at long falls onto single bolts, and an unclip would result in decking. Bit of extra security....

It's one of those things which some people will use on all their sports draws, and which others might use in situations like you describe. It'll possibly find a few uses.

I like the way Stevie seems to gradually look more and more bored, until about half way through when he suddenly starts smiling again, almost like he's been reminded to. He's got an expressive face. ()
Post edited at 13:41
 GridNorth 26 Jan 2014
In reply to T_Mac:

Interesting that it shows clipping with a gloved hand but not unclipping and I suspect this may not be an oversight. It does solve a problem but I'm not convinced it's either a big or widespread problem. I also suspect it's not as easy as demonstrated without some practice.
 dutybooty 26 Jan 2014
In reply to spidermonkey09:

> They look nice for belaying/rigging but a complete pain for quickdraws, as well as a bit heavy. Having got used to phantoms though I guess everything will seem heavy!

I was thinking it may be nice to use one for belaying, even got a sort of HMS shape to them!

Out of interest, do you use the phantoms for winter climbing? I'm contemplating the move but unsure if they'll be a bit small.
 jonnie3430 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Stephen Reid:

> It looks as if it would be good for a locking krab that would not freeze up in winter.

It looks like it'll freeze up quite easily. The wee square hole on the gate will have to have a square nubbin to go through to "close," (so the crab acts as "gate closed,") and I imagine that it's really easy to block that with ice or snow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...