UKC

Nikwax Tech Wash for Windstopper trousers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ally_McCoy 10 Aug 2017

Hey guys,

So as I got soaked wet through yesterday in the downpour we had, I realised it was time to re-proof my jacket.

Got me some Nikwax Tech Wash and TX.Direct wash-in. Gunna do my Gore-Tex jacket but I wonder if it would do any harm to my Windstopper trousers if I were to throw them in as well, or do I need to bite the bullet and buy the softshell version of Nikwax too?

Also, I havn't used Nikwax in a while and my jacket is quite old, don't want to ruin it. Anyone advise against using Nikwax or is it still just as good as it was? Jacket is a Macpac Prophet trousers are the Mountain Equipment G2.

Cheers guys!

Ally.

p.s if this fits 'off-belay' more please let me know and I'll move it over to that forum.
Post edited at 12:23
 marsbar 10 Aug 2017
In reply to Ally_McCoy:

I think it will be fine. Gentle tumble dry if possible.
OP Ally_McCoy 10 Aug 2017
In reply to marsbar:

They are in now so we will see! I'll update if anything goes wildly wrong!
 Pina 10 Aug 2017
In reply to Ally_McCoy:

I do it all the time, it's fine.
 GarethSL 10 Aug 2017
In reply to Ally_McCoy:

The only thing you might notice is that the inside of your trousers are water repellent now too.
 gethin_allen 10 Aug 2017
In reply to Ally_McCoy:

Tech wash is just a mild soap so it won't do any harm at all to wash your windstopper clothing with it. The proofer TX-direct would probably be fine also although I'd avoid it as I find the wash in proofers have a detrimental effect on the breathability of the membranes. I use a spray on product and only coat the outside fabric.
 neuromancer 10 Aug 2017
In reply to Ally_McCoy:

Tech wash is fine, but you may as well not be a mug and just buy soap flakes.

TX Direct would be a terrible idea on the G2's. However, I asked NikWax and it's no different to the spray on stuff, so you can just spray/sponge it onto the outside and then tumble dry.
In reply to neuromancer:

Ha! Yeah I was worried about that so I will skip them out of the TX.Direct wash. As someone already mentioned I don't fancy having the inside of my trousers water repellent.

Also, I only bought it because when I enquired about it at Blacks (I know, forgive me, needed it urgently and I actually had to point out what Nikwax was.) she told me if I bought anything in store it would be half price. She promptly pointed me to a £1 pack of hand warmers.

To think, I walked away thinking they were the mugs! /s
In reply to gethin_allen:

Thanks for the tip on the wash in proofer! I will get the spray tomorrow!
 neuromancer 10 Aug 2017
In reply to Ally_McCoy:

Just get a spray bottle and use that!
 thlcr1 10 Aug 2017
In reply to neuromancer:
Nah, tried that. The soap flakes didn't dissolve properly and everything was covered with bits of soap so i had rinse dozens of times. After that tried pre-dissolving the flakes in warm water and stirring for several minutes. That worked but was such a faff i decided to sod it and buy tech-wash in future.

Lee
Post edited at 18:34
 Glyno 10 Aug 2017

why does TX Direct smell exactly the same as PVA glue (you know, the white stuff we used at school)?
 thlcr1 10 Aug 2017
In reply to Glyno:
Thats simple, its because its PVA! However if your thinking of making your own from glue remember PVA like most polymers can have a huge range of variables in its composition which have to be fine tuned for a specific purpose. I strongly suspect that if you wash your Gortex jacket in wood glue it wont turn out well!

Lee
Post edited at 19:00
 Glyno 10 Aug 2017
In reply to thlcr1:

probably won't do the washing machine too much good either :/
 thlcr1 10 Aug 2017
In reply to Glyno:

good point

Lee
 neuromancer 10 Aug 2017
In reply to thlcr1:

You could just premix the whole box of soap flakes in a bottle. Probably 10% of the price of tech wash?
 marsbar 10 Aug 2017
In reply to neuromancer:

But you can't put soap flakes in a washing machine, unless you want this to happen.

https://cdn.galileo.pgsitecore.com/pt-br/-/media/Ariel_BR/Images/Callouts/D...
 thlcr1 10 Aug 2017
In reply to neuromancer:

> You could just premix the whole box of soap flakes in a bottle. Probably 10% of the price of tech wash?

I was a little surprised how hard it was to get then to dissolve. can be done but personally I decided my time was worth more. Having said that that, I've no reason to believe soap flakes are inferior.

Lee
 Glyno 11 Aug 2017
In reply to Ally_McCoy:

there are certain times, Tesco Direct do great prices on Nikwax products, particularly the litre bottles of Techwash and TX Direct. Bear in mind also, Go Outdoors will then beat that price by 10%!
OP Ally_McCoy 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Glyno:

That is great to know! As I say, only got this because I got caught in a downpour and my jacket didn't work haha

All went fairly well but I am starting to think the jacket is just really old! Ordered the tx.direct from Amazon, 5 quid can't complain!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...