UKC

Nubuck boots destroyed by mud - any Nikwax ok?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
OneLifeOneHeart 28 Jan 2013
Meindl Nubuck boots - this pair of boots which I bought just a few months ago were the perfect fit and accompanied my on my first ascents and outdoor explorations, but then I walked in mud one day, and when I tried to get rid of the mud bit a brush - (I had waited a couple of days before cleaning the boots) - the leather was white-ish.

I went to an outdoor shop and the person there said that the "upper layer" (?!) of the leather had been scraped away and I now needed to reproof them or so.

He seemed in a hurry when he gave me a tube of Nikwax soft leather cream, but after reading online, I read that there is also a Nikwax Nubuck cream.

Would it be dangerous if I started applying the one I bought?
In reply to OneLifeOneHeart: Nubuck is essentially brushed leather. applying any wax to it will not harm it in anyway but asthetically it will ruin the appearance of the nubuck, which if I read your post correctly won't necessarily be a great deal worse than it is now!

gethin_allen 28 Jan 2013
In reply to OneLifeOneHeart:
Just wax the hell out of them with G-wax, they'll look better for it and last well.
 bouldery bits 28 Jan 2013
In reply to gethin_allen:
> (In reply to OneLifeOneHeart)
> Just wax the hell out of them with G-wax, they'll look better for it and last well.

Testify.
 Bradders 29 Jan 2013
In reply to OneLifeOneHeart: Muddy fields etc are a great way of destroying boots, everytime youve been out id recommend you cleaning them asap. The stuff farmers spray on fields gets into the mud and if left on boots can melt the glue holding the soles on etc.
Bradley
 The Lemming 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Bradders:

Any idea how long it would be before the glue melts?

I only ask as I'm worried that my Nepal Extreme's may be at risk.

My boots are 16 years old and have not been waxed for about 10 years. And when I go for a walk in them, it can be months before I even think about putting them into a stream let alone under a tap to wash any mud off.
 nniff 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Bradders:
> The stuff farmers spray on fields gets into the mud and if left on boots can melt the glue holding the soles on etc.

Does it matter what sort of glue it is? I mean, they make glue out of horses' hooves don't they (well the bits that don't go into the burgers anyway). Do horses hooves dissolve or fall off if they go in a field?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...