UKC

Ohm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ksmith 10 Oct 2017
For the last few months I have been using the Ohm assisted braking device as there is a big difference in weight between myself and my climbing partner. The device is helpful, especially when lowering off however, there has been a few times when the device has lifted and locked when the climber pulls slack through for clipping. The problem can be rectified with rope shaking however it can be very dangerous if the climber doesn't have sufficient rope to clip.

Does anyone have any tips to help in this situation or preferably to avoid it happening in the first place?
 jezmartin 11 Oct 2017
In reply to ksmith:

Have you considered how far your belayer is stood from the wall? It makes a difference
 Reach>Talent 11 Oct 2017
In reply to ksmith:
I've been using the ohm for a few weeks and have a handy list of ways to lock it up:

1) Take in a huge armful of rope faster than your belayer can pay out.
2) Ensure your belayer stands well back from the wall.
3) Use a fluffy rope.

The last one makes a huge difference!
 Stairclimber 11 Oct 2017
In reply to ksmith:

I think the last reply sums things up nicely. I am really impressed with the OHM, after using it for about a month. Not directly relevant to your question but it may be of interest : when lowering I have found it useful to clip into the maillon with a quick draw to my tie in loop. This not only makes it easier to retrieve the OHM, but keeps the assisting tension on the rope for the be layer, avoiding an often unexpected 'jerk' as full weight comes on if you simply take the rope out as you go past on your way down.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...