UKC

OMM Mountain Raid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RagingSphere 20 Aug 2012
So I was flicking through Septembers TGO and on page 14 I saw something that seems far too good to be true.

OMM are releasing a sleeping bag called the Mountain Raid that only weighs 420g, costs £150 and packs to 6cm by 5cm.... It makes mention of being designed for the OMM where temperatures can be as low as -5C which to me implies its rated to -5C although I could be reading too much into that.

I can't find any other information on it on the internet so I was wondering if any one else had heard anything about it?

Mark
OP RagingSphere 21 Aug 2012
In reply to monkeymark:
Bump
 Simon Caldwell 22 Aug 2012
In reply to monkeymark:
> It makes mention of being designed for the OMM where temperatures can be as low as -5C which to me implies its rated to -5C

Rated to -5 in the same way that bubble wrap is rated as a sleeping mat, or a Laser Competition is rated as a 2-person tent
 catt 22 Aug 2012
In reply to monkeymark:

420g? Bit heavy.
 Nutkey 22 Aug 2012
In reply to catt:
> (In reply to monkeymark)
>
> 420g? Bit heavy.

Not for a bag rated to -5 it isn't. Presumably this is going to be a top bag though, and presumably the -5 is "just avoiding frostbite".
 SFM 22 Aug 2012
In reply to Nutkey:

PHD's Minim Ultra is 345g. Although rated to +8°C I'm sure you'd survive a night at -5°C. Might have to wear all you clothes and hug your running partner though.
 steelbru 22 Aug 2012
In reply to monkeymark:
It was also covered in the most recent Trail Running magazine. They claim 450g and £160, and same size as a 1.5kg bag of flour. No mention of temperature ratings.

Says it's out in August ( which is now nearly over ) but as you say, no mention of it on theomm.com

maybe drop a question to them on their facebook page ?
Tom Williams 22 Aug 2012
Hi. I'm part of the design team at OMM and, as I'm holding the final version of the Mountain Raid that arrived with us yesteray, I thought you might appreciate our thoughts.

The aim with the Mountain Raid was to design the bag which we would want to use when running on the OMM. We wanted it to be warm enough for use, light, have good performance in the lovely UK weather and compact.

The bag designed weights 403g combining loose laid Pertex Quantum over 60g Primaloft One on top and 40g Primaloft One on the bottom. full footbox and cowled hood. We found that this combination offered an active Mountain Marathon racer the right perfomance for the OMM, gave a windproof bag for emergencies and a system that would provide warmth when both wet or dry (packing accidents do happen). It will be in the shops in October.

At this stage we have decided not to submit the bag for EN or US norm testing. We have three reasons for this. 1)Cost, 2)relevance of information, 3)inconsistancy of information use by brands and retailers. Personally, as a person active in the outdoors the EN ratings do not give me any relevance therefore the only arguement for their use is to allow for a basis of comparison of one bag against another. Currently you have brands choosing to use EN ratings or US ratings or giving theroretical ratings. these are then being quoted in places as like for like comparisons which is misleading. We decided that Mountain Marathon competitiors are experienced outdoor people and that they would be able to make a judgement on the basis of the fabrics and weights data to make an informed choice.

Sorry thats a bit longwinded. These are going to be the top prizes on the OMM in the Howgills this year if you want to get your hands on one and share an opinion.
 Nutkey 22 Aug 2012
In reply to SFM:
> (In reply to Nutkey)
>
> PHD's Minim Ultra is 345g. Although rated to +8°C I'm sure you'd survive a night at -5°C. Might have to wear all you clothes and hug your running partner though.

Having been in a bag rated to 0 degrees (comfort) on the Rab 2010 (wasn't much above zero), I'm not sure I would have survived if it was 13 degrees lower! I was wearing everything... unfortunately I was solo. Mind you, I was sleeping on a duo mat, a balloon bed would have been a lot better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...