UKC

OS Maps App Augmented Reality not working

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Collins 10 Apr 2021

Hi,

Does Anyone else have his problem please? I have an Android phone, press the AR button in the app, hold the phone up to the horizon and no labels appear in the camera view.

Tried googling but that wasn't much help, other than showing me how 'easy' it is to use the app. 

Post edited at 16:46
 Mal Grey 10 Apr 2021
In reply to Mark Collins:

Not just you, AR is not working on my Android, but is on my work iPhone.

OP Mark Collins 10 Apr 2021
In reply to Mal Grey:

Thanks Mal. Good to know its not just me. They might have thought to disable the feature for Android phones if it doesn't work on that platform, or perhaps I'm over simplifying the situation. 

Alkis 10 Apr 2021

If it uses ARCore, the issue is that very few Android devices actually properly work with it. Every iOS device since the 6s supports ARKit, which is Apple's version. The reason for this is that to support the spatial tracking they need a systemic approach where they are can run the various device sensors on the same clock (or synchronised clocks) and have calibration for different device temperatures etc. Apple just does it. On the Android side, support is hit or miss. Premium manufacturers do it and even they don't necessarily bother on all devices.

Android is generally a complete nightmare of fragmentation not seen since the 90's PC market...

OP Mark Collins 11 Apr 2021
In reply to Alkis:

Wow, thanks for the comprehensive answer. Time to get the maps out to figure out what those 2 distant mountains I saw yesterday were. 

Jon Read 11 Apr 2021

You could always use Google Earth?

OP Mark Collins 11 Apr 2021
In reply to Jon Read:

Yeah good point thanks, I'll do that. 

Alkis 11 Apr 2021
In reply to Jon Read:

+1 for Google Earth. I've used its 3D view to cheat in finding the bottom of a route on Glyder Fawr in a complete white out. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...