UKC

Osprey Mutant or Variant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 15 Oct 2012
Which do you prefer as a climbing pack and for Scottish winter / Alpine which size do you go for?

Are there any better out there?
 bennys89 15 Oct 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: I have got a mutant 38 from a couple of years ago. its perfect size and pretty tough, no problems with it yet!
 Neil Pratt 15 Oct 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Both great packs - I have the Variant 52, a mate has the Mutant 38. I went for the Variant as I reckon it's more flexible with the back pocket if you want to strip the lid to drop weight. The V52 is a bit roomy for use as a summer pack - its a pity they didn't stick volume reducers on it like the ones on the base of the Talon 44. If you were comparing the Variant 37 with the Mutant, there's really not much to choose between them apart from that additional pocket on the main body of the Variant. I find it pretty comfy, even loaded up with the back sheet removed and a 3/4 mat folded up and shoved in the sleeve. I've only tried the Mutant briefly around the car park, but there wasn't much to choose between them in terms of comfort with a moderate load of personal kit and climbing gear.
OP AdCo82 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Ditch_Jockey:

thank you for the answer, the Variant was winning it for me anyway and I just wanted somebody to give their opinion.

I do like a pack with that little bit of extra space!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...