UKC

Petzl Duo 14 LED

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nigel Thomson 06 Apr 2014

I just picked up a Petzl Duo for a tenner and plan to use it for work mounted to a Petzl Vertex Best. Pretty chuffed considering it came with new Duracel batteries. Anyway, after checking out the spec on the net I noticed the LED side of the lamp has three seperate settings but can't work out how to set. Anyone able to enlighten me?
Thanks in advance,

Nige

Just worked it out!! Click once, twice and thrice!!
Post edited at 23:08
 Tradical 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Nigel Thomson:

Yep, repeatedly flick it to LED ON then off then LED ON again, and you'll notice it cycle through power levels (3 I believe). Mine goes down caves all the time, bombproof kit.
OP Nigel Thomson 07 Apr 2014
In reply to TradRat:

Very pleased and would even consider a retrofit upgrade for the halogen side.

will have to try this, never knew about it! thanks
 broady 07 Apr 2014

i've stuck an Omni simple in my duo, its a fantastic piece of kit. http://www.customduo.co.uk/Pages/OmniSimple.aspx
OP Nigel Thomson 09 Apr 2014
In reply to broady:

I had a look at this and think I may go for it.
 Tradical 09 Apr 2014

Cavers say Duos are shitty, the inserts save them and make them tolerable.
 Sharp 09 Apr 2014
In reply to TradRat:
> Cavers say Duos are shitty, the inserts save them and make them tolerable.

That's quite a sweeping statement, all cavers?

It might be a bit outdated for outdoor pursuits but it's still the go to head torch for a lot of rescue teams, next time there's a big earthquake somewhere watch what the rescue teams have on their heads. There's footage of Andy Kirkpatrick using one on a climb in (I think) patagonia as well. Anyway, you can't argue with a tenner.
Post edited at 14:53
OP Nigel Thomson 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Sharp:

> That's quite a sweeping statement, all cavers?

> It might be a bit outdated for outdoor pursuits but it's still the go to head torch for a lot of rescue teams, next time there's a big earthquake somewhere watch what the rescue teams have on their heads. There's footage of Andy Kirkpatrick using one on a climb in (I think) patagonia as well. Anyway, you can't argue with a tenner.

Exactly, as I said I'm going to use it for work, which sometimes entails working in the dark in bad weather wearing a helmet. It is waterproof to 5m so should be able to handle what I throw at it. It fits perfectly on the Vertex lid.
I have a Myo XP which I use for climbing and general outdoor use.
 Tradical 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Sharp:
Sorry I meant 'my' cavers (club I'm with)! Not a generalisation, just our club culture it seems, "I remember caving on shitty duos" the line goes (I like mine because they are much cheaper than Scurions).
Nothing negative meant or anything like that
Post edited at 00:03
needvert 10 Apr 2014
In reply to TradRat:

Looking at duos....I concur, they do look crap. From an age before high wattage LEDs. Its not just brightness, efficiency (especially as battery voltage drops), LEDs are a leap up in durability and reliability compared to incandescent tech.

I suspect the most common reason for reaching for them is they don't have anything better to grab.

A cree xpg or xml retrofit to the halogen bulb would seem a good day investment though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...