UKC

Petzl Grigri Belay Device Self belay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 oem_uk 10 Jun 2010
Hi,

Could i use the Petzl Grigri Belay Device to self belay if i was climbing on my own if a partner was not avaliable? I would tie my bag or something with a bit of weight to the end of the rope to keep a little bit of tension on it.

Or is there a better way of doing this?

Cheers
In reply to oem_uk: use a shunt. you can modify the GriGri for this purpose but its not recommended.
 jkarran 10 Jun 2010
In reply to oem_uk:

You can use the GriGri unmodified so long as your rope runs smoothly (c10mm clean, dry and not too furry). Just coil and suspend the spare rope for added weight. Careful modifications (the notorious 'Deathmod') can make it feed better and allow you to keep it upright by your chest.

Shunt and Petzl Basic are other popular tools (there are others too, arguably better but less popular). Arguments rage over which will make you die the most. Reality is they all work ok, each has strengths and weaknesses.

Try a forum search for 'Shunt' or 'Rope Solo'... Enjoy (or despair!)
jk
In reply to oem_uk: make sure you use the correct Screwgate to attach it (whatever you decide to use)to your harness, Ideally a steel maillion but a DMM belay master will prevent cross loading the crab.
 AlistairB 10 Jun 2010
In reply to oem_uk: I just do it with an unmodified Grigri and yank rope through it every now and then. In combination with a backup knot I feel pretty safe. Plus the pulling rope through can be used to simulate placing gear (though I rarely TR solo anything that would have any gear anyway!) I don't weight the bottom either, dunno if it would actually help it self-feed but tbh I don't find it neccessary to have it self-feed, it'd be nice but it's pretty easy to pull rope through.
OP oem_uk 10 Jun 2010
In reply to oem_uk: Thanks for the replys i'll get reading.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...