UKC

petzl lynx on spantiks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Beck 07 Oct 2013
Has anyone used the Lynx crampons on La Sportiva Spantiks?? and if so , how well do they fit??
Heard reports that it can be difficult to get a good fitting crampon for the Spantiks.
Boot size is euro 45 , and looking for a mono point crampon for mixed climbing.
Any advide would be much appreciated.

CurlyStevo 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris Beck:
There's a bit of general info here if you haven't found it already. http://coldthistle.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/la-sportiva-spantik.html . Seems the wide heal and very pronounced rockers are the main issue. I had a problem finding a good crampon a few years back with some boots with a very pronounced rocker, seemed then anyway that the crampons hadn't 'caught up' with some of the more modern boot designs.

In reply to Chris Beck: I used petzl Sarkens on my spantiks without issue. I cant imagine the Lynx are any different in shape though I can't be certain of that.
ice.solo 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris Beck:

Ive worn spantiks with half a dozen crampons and never had a problem. Unless your boots are very big or small id be surprised if theres an issue.
 adam 24 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris Beck: One of my mates climbs with lynx on his spantiks and he's always been happy with the fit. I think his boots are size 43 though.
 Edvin m 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris Beck: I've got size 46 Spantiks and have to use the longer bars on mine. The fit works but is far from perfect. The massive rocker creates a small gap in the front between the crampon and the sole. Everytime you load the front point the crampon flexes and the wire bail loosens up a bit. They have yet to come of but I'm thinking about grinding down the sole a little bit... No problems with the heel although I use a BD heel lever.

Also flipping the bars over(left on right foot...) means you get the sidepoints closer to the inside of the boot, much better for french tecknique or edging in some ledges.
OP Chris Beck 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris Beck: Many thanks to everyone so far for the advice.
Heard reports of people grinding the sole to make the crampon heel fit better..not sure i am keen on that just yet.
Jon Griffin mentions in his write up that the , Petzl Darts fit fine without modification...maybe there the way to go?
Would been keen to hear more advice from people on Mono point crampons , they have used with there Spantiks.
Just so i can get a few options before i order some down.
I dont live in the Uk and hard to get hold of Petzl crampons to try on... hense why i am asking on Ukc.

Many Thanks
daveholl 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris Beck:

If you've got larger feet I'd try BD's Cyborg Pro crampon. They are a really good fit with Spantiks (mine are 46) both at front and back. Frame size feels a bit small but for your 45's, might be perfect. They can be set up as monos. Petzl heel levers foul the wide Spantik heel and Darts definitely do not fit my 46's at all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...