UKC

Portable gas cooker recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jus 15 Apr 2013
Hi, we need a new stove to use with our camper van.

Has anyone got any pointers towards the best stove like one of these?

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/gelert-portable-gas-cooker-97120032?id_colou...

Thanks a lot
 IPPurewater 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Jus:I'd check the price of the gas cylinders for this type of stove. They used to be rather expensive compared to the Gamping gaz or screw in type.
 CarolineMc 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Jus: I've seen some fantastic random flames come out of these stoves, where the seal between the bottle and the stove can be less than effective... be aware! Personally I'd go for a campingaz style over one of these. Co:
 wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Jus: We have the 'camping chef' on this page:
http://www.campingaz.com/uk/c-597-2-burner-stoves.aspx
It uses a refillable gas cylinder, we have had it 4 years and only had to fill the cylinder once, costs about 16 quid to refil. you do need to buy the cylinder to start with though <pinch one from the tip!> its very versitile as a lamp heap and parabolic header head all screw into the same cylinder. the cooker itself has a grill so toast for breakfast!
 Tall Clare 15 Apr 2013
In reply to CarolineMc:

Blue Straggler had one that caught fire in an unfortunate way while we were camping a few years ago - I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
 Tall Clare 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

Toast! Wow!
 wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
blue straggler breaks everything he touches though to be fair, look at the car saga threads!
 wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to blanchie14c)
>
> Toast! Wow!

don't knock it, toast is suprisingly versitile when camping. Scrambled eggs on toast of a morning is far more welcoming and filling than a couple of tracker bars <that I normally make do with when light camping> and when you have kiddiewinks with you they are ALWAYS hungry. bright orange stuff in a tin on toast shuts them up for a while I find....
 Neil Williams 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Jus:

Those things drink gas like there's no tomorrow. You're better off buying a proper one e.g. a 2 burner Gaz with a separate bottle (Calor or Gaz).

Neil
In reply to blanchie14c:

Our Scout Group has 4 "Camping Kitchens" from that range used on Calor bottles with Calor regulators (I don't like Gaz bottles as they have a habit of leaking at the valve). They're fine, only problem is that the smaller of the 2 burners is a bit small so can be slow. Made a very slight modification to them in gluing the taps on, though, they tend to fall off otherwise.

Neil
 Tall Clare 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

Not knocking it - sounds good to me!
OP Jus 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Jus:

Oh no!

So are there no decent ones?

We have various lightweight mountaineering stoves but were after something more camping orientated for the van without need a large gas bottle & locker etc. We have units in the van but opted for no built in stove/ sink unit.
OP Jus 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

I do like the camping chef but was after something more compact...
 wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Jus: I've seen plently of these at campsites, bit futuristic looking but they take bog standard screw on gas canisters that screw on from underneth, not a non-standard, thin cartrige type. The thing being is that wilkinsons are doing the 250 size gas at 2 for 6 quid. I've stocked up and got 6 last week.

http://www.wilko.com/camping/gemini-gas-stove-dual-cartridge-redsilver-effe...
In reply to Jus:

Camping Kitchen is quite a bit smaller.

Neil
In reply to Jus:

That type are all the same, just badged.

Neil
OP Jus 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:
> (In reply to Jus)
>
> Camping Kitchen is quite a bit smaller.
>
> Neil

I see.

Can you use large refillable bottles and normal cannisters with that?
OP Jus 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:
> (In reply to Jus)
>
> That type are all the same, just badged.
>
> Neil

There are some ones from Japan called Awatani which look good. http://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-000BTU-Portable-Butane-Stove/dp/B00522F2R2

But you cant buy them here!
 wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Jus:
Not with mine. It connects via a regulator and rubber hose to the refillable.
this is the one i have. Note though that they aren't actually refilled - you take yours in empty and they swap it for a full one.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/campingaz-gaz-904-cyclinder-style-camping-gas-r...
 wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Jus: scroll down on that wilkinson page I linked to, there is a very similar one under the 'yellowstone' brand. Tenner!
 martinph78 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Jus: I have one like you have linked and to be honest, they do the job well. Perfect for leaving in the back of the van for a quick brew, bit of breakfast, soup, hot choc when you get back to the car etc. I use mine when car camping as well.

The gas is really cheap for them.

I have a Coleman petrol stove (double burner) and a primus omnifuel. The briefcase one gets used the most as it is so convenient.

The only time I find it utter rubbish is in the winter. The gas doesn't like to be cold. £11 is a good price, shop around for the gas on ebay.
In reply to Jus:

Gaz or Calor depending on your choice of regulator. Not the small type you use with backpacking stoves.

Neil
In reply to Martin1978:

Are people sending the gas through the post? I hope not - it isn't allowed, for good reason.

Neil
 martinph78 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Neil Williams: Yup. Don't shoot the messenger.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...