UKC

REVIEW: Cut me some slacks - Stretch Zion Pants

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 30 May 2008
Like everything else these days, there is a wide selection of climbing trousers on the market. I've had a fair few, ranging from the ridiculous to the sublime, a glance through my wardrobe would reveal: Ronhills, Lost Arrows, S7s, Mammut Champs, and various pairs of Prana and Patagonia. All of these work, but if I'm heading out for a day on Scafell, Dow Crag or Gogarth, there is one pair which is invariably selected; Prana's Stretch Zion Trousers.

"Hold on... Do I really need specific trousers for climbing? Isn't this just a marketing con?"

Tom Ripley wears the trousers: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=998
 gingerkate 01 Jun 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:
Nice review, Tom. This thing about mesh pockets ... what is the appeal? I've got a jacket that has entirely mesh pockets... my keys trashed one of them in the space of a fortnight.
 Swig 30 Jun 2008
I've got some of those trousers. I really don't like them though I can't put my finger on exactly what's wrong with them.
 RocknRoll 16 Jul 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

I have a pair of Zions and also a pair of Patagonia Super Guide Pants. The super guide pants are better if there is likely to be any rain or if its particularly cold, they are also cool enough to wear on not so hot summer days and have a small internal gaiter and crampon patch so are good for alpine. The Prana Zions I wear on drier warmer days, they are very light, stretchy and comfortable and offer no resistance to moverment at all. Just as smart on the train to the crag as on the crag itself.

Can I have my free pair now please?
 Andysomething 16 Jul 2008
I like em. They are a bit short in the leg for me. so I unpicked the hem for that all important extra length..., and despite this the material is tough enough not to fray away. Great gear. Diamond crotches are the business, no matter what the make.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...