UKC

Quick tent recommendation please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 03 Jun 2021

I'm after a two man tent, with a porch big enough for two people to sit out the bad weather, in their director/picnic chairs either side of a small table that holds a bottle of Talisker, while peering out the window up at the Cuillin/Aiguilles to see if the cloud has lifted, and if not turn to the two burner cooker to start the evening meal.

Obviously for a base camp, not far from the car, so weight not as important as weatherproofness.

Any recommendations most welcome.

elliot.baker 03 Jun 2021
In reply to Fredt:

Does it have to be Talisker? Because I've got a good tent recommendation for Arran but not Talisker sorry. 😂

Edit: more seriously though, from instinct I think you'd be looking at a 4 man tent if you want the space to sit in the Porch. From what I see, two man tents just about have sitting room inside, with a porch for your boots and maybe your bag if you're lucky.

Post edited at 12:38
OP Fredt 03 Jun 2021
In reply to elliot.baker:

> Does it have to be Talisker? Because I've got a good tent recommendation for Arran but not Talisker sorry. 😂

Lagavulin?

jimtitt 03 Jun 2021
In reply to elliot.baker:

Actually the world of tents for motorcyclists have plenty on offer, 2 person tents with room to park the bike in front are common.

Trangia 03 Jun 2021
In reply to Fredt:

I recommend one of these. Good value, not fussy and quick and easy to erect, and has "a window" from which you could watch the Cuillin weather with your wee dram(s) - Talisker approved here!

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15980737/vango-beta-450-4-person-tent-xl-15980...

damowilk 03 Jun 2021
In reply to Fredt:

If you’re signed up to Sportspursuit, they have some vango tents on sale currently: the Knoydart 200 looks like it might suit your requirements, Tallisker doesn’t seem included though. 

Tringa 04 Jun 2021
In reply to Fredt:

As mentioned elsewhere you might need a larger tent to give you the space you want.

On the whisky it has to be Bruichladdich Octomore.

Dave

afx22 04 Jun 2021
In reply to Fredt:

If money is no object, then a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT would be my choice.  I have one and love it.  It has a huge porch and I can confirm it works for various quality single malts.

Post edited at 08:59
 oceannash909 04 Jun 2021
In reply to Fredt:

I would definitely recommend a Hilleberg tent, they are all premium tents, and they are very very expensive. However, they will last you an absolute lifetime, they use them in Antarctic expeditions and stuff so it proves they are bomber. I personally have a Hilleberg Keron 3 GT which is perfect for occasional Glamping and winter expedition trips to Norway. I would recommend the Kaitum 2 GT, its quite light, but very very bomber. It has to be the GT models though because those are the ones with the large vestibule in the front.

hope this helps

jimtitt 04 Jun 2021
In reply to oceannash909:

So two people sitting in picnic chairs at a table loooking out of the window plays no part in your recomendation?

nathan79 04 Jun 2021
In reply to Fredt:

I got an Alpkit Axiom for such purposes. It's listed as a 4 man but it's well suited for 2 with bags of room while not being huge. Nice big porch for sitting in too. Only tested it out with a 1-night camp in dry, chilly conditions but pleased with it.

matt_chan 04 Jun 2021
In reply to Fredt:

We've got a Robens Double Dreamer 4 which is great. Technically 4 person but you would have to be friendly. The door has a little porch thing that stops water dripping in when you open it which is a nice feature. Only had a few years but quality seems good and its much lighter than our old Vango - not really a factor for campsites but we use it for festivals too, where you might have to carry it some distance.

The colour is awful though!

mike123 05 Jun 2021
In reply to Fredt: if weight and space ( bulk) are not a problem I have a berghaus  air beam 4  that would do the job nicely . Very well made and very easy to put up .  I got it off eBay ,secondhand , but completely as new and unused . I suspect the great sell off has begun 

Post edited at 06:58
OP Fredt 05 Jun 2021
In reply to Fredt:

Thanks for suggestions everyone, I have spent some time looking into them all, and then yesterday I was given a Vango Artemis 500, which seems to tick all the boxes. My only concerns is that it looks huge, (4.5m long and 3.3m) wide, for two people, but this may be an optical illusion as it completely fills my small garden. However, I note that a lot of the above are similar size. Also it is very heavy with the steel poles, I struggled to carry it from the car! It certainly has the headroom and large porch.

I think I can live with the downsides given the cost, but I shall certainly keep an eye out for anything slightly smaller and a lot lighter.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

hpil 05 Jun 2021
In reply to Trangia:

Second the beta 450xl - we have one for weekend family camping for 4 of us, even used it for two weeks fly drive camping in the dolomites. There's a 3 person 350xl as well. The porch is pretty much midge proof and loads of space. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...