UKC

Rab Baltoro Guide or ME Pulsar or similar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RoK 12 Aug 2013
Hi,

I'm in the market for a warm softshell jacket and have narrowed it down based on materials and weight to the above.
However I am not excluding anything I may have overlooked.
For instance I know Patagonia had their Northwall jacket out a couple of years ago but I don't think they are still making them. Patagonia tends to be a bit on the baggy side for me too.

Does anyone have any positive or negative feedback on the above two jackets or other suggestions.

Cheers,
R.
 dutybooty 12 Aug 2013
In reply to RoK: I have a Rab Baltoro. I love it. Off the top of my head the downsides stand at the zip on the new ones, whilst being very reliable, does let a not unsubstantial amount of wind in.

It is also extremely warm. But its incredibly hardwearing, comfortable, always nice to put on. I'm on my second and shall be buying a new one when this one eventually dies.

Again, very very warm.
 CharlieMack 12 Aug 2013
In reply to RoK:

I really like my Pulsar, have used it in fairly windy and very rainy conditions. Kept me warm and dry. Though i've yet to test it in 'proper' mountain conditions, for which it is designed. Though if any of my other ME jackets are to go by, i'm sure it will do great.
It's super comfy to wear over a tshirt to the pub too, and the pockets have nice chunky zips on too, which i find make a massive difference in terms or comfort over the little thin ones usually attired to save weight these days.
 gear boy 12 Aug 2013
In reply to RoK: patagonia knifeblade(replacement for northwall, montane tigertooth,and ME Pulsar are Powershield Pro, Rab Baltoro is Powershield so a lot less water resistant but more breathable

i think all of these have a fleece lining for warmth
OP RoK 12 Aug 2013
In reply to all:

Thanks all, greatly appreciated.
Montane sizing and I just don't seem to get on. Their medium is a smidge too small and their large is just a little to big.
Chances are I'd have to buy it online as there's not that many stockists in Ireland.

The pulsar looks and sounds the ticket thus far.

Rab seem to have got a bit of a bashing on quality issues in the past months on these forums.
Decisions decisions...

Thanks once more the input is greatly appreciated!
 Hay 12 Aug 2013
In reply to RoK:
Do you need it to be waterproof? If not then Vapor Rise Guide s very good. Great winter climbing jacket.
OP RoK 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Hay:

Ideally it would be as water resistant as possible.

Cheers for the suggestion though.
R.
 dutybooty 13 Aug 2013
In reply to RoK: Just to throw something else into the mix. I couldn't point to a specific jacket.

But the trangoworld prote extreme trousers are the best I've ever owned. Storm on Mont Blanc in winter? No problem.

Meltw*ter run off (read waterfall) on ice climb? No problem.

I've never had to wear waterproofs over them and they've done everything from scottish in around 0 degrees through skitouring in about minus-15 to climbing in minus 30 (with appropriate base layers).

If only I could discover the relevant jacket made the same way I'd be on it like a shot.
OP RoK 13 Aug 2013
In reply to dutybooty:
I see good deals on Trangoworld stuff from time to time on Spanish sites. Never owned or tried out any of their stuff. I was often tempted but they seem to have a couple of dozen models of trousers with not much to separate them. I was always unsure of which ones were for which season and function.

Finding a jacket made out of black box flight recorder material that's breathable and comfortable is my holy grail.
 dutybooty 14 Aug 2013
In reply to RoK: Aye I think thats the dream for everyone!

Waterproof, in a range of colours and light too!

But seriously, if they make a jacket out of the same stuff as the old prote-extreme trousers, thats the one, I use it for everything I do from about September in UK to February in the alps.
 Alpenglow 14 Aug 2013
In reply to RoK: Have a ME Pulsar, great jacket, no complaints with it so far. Large hood, chunky zips, comfortable, warm (fleece lined - pockets too), windproof, water resistant with DWR finish, breathable.

If I had to pick one thing to change about it, I would raise the hand pockets so they were more harness compatible, but it's not really a big problem.

BR
OP RoK 15 Aug 2013
In reply to blackreaver:

In reply to blackreaver:
Cheers for that.
Unfortunately it's a common complaint. My MHW Drystein jacket has some of the most awfully positioned pockets I've seen despite having the first item on their feature list as 'harness compatible pockets.'
They sit pretty much crack in the middle of where your packs hip belt or harness lie.
All the other features seem to add up though. Now to find one and try it on.
Thanks once more,
R.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...