UKC

RAB Event Jacket Failing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
acharnley 17 Feb 2018

Hi! I have a RAB Latok Alpine Event jacket which was bought last year in May. It's had little use and very rarely with a small day pack. Normally just it for cycling. I've only cold washed it once (by hand).  It was a replacement for a RAB Neoshell jacket which delaminated and fell to bits (also in the neck area). Inspecting the Event jacket I can see significant colouration near the neck area. If this due to sweat then it is no problem, or is it failing? The outer mesh material hasn't lifted away like it did on the Neoshell.

Second issue is a small wearing away of the material just to the right of the grey holder thing. I have no idea how this has happened, other than that grey holder pressing on and rubbing away the material? I can resolve this myself using seam seal material I think. Cheers! Andrew  

https://www.igaro.com/misc/DSCF3217.JPG

https://www.igaro.com/misc/DSCF3216.JPG

Post edited at 10:14
In reply to acharnley:

1. Most likely sweat by the looks of the photo. Wash and re proof as per instructions and see what it looks like after. Personally I think washing is needed more often than just the once you have done and esp if your skin is in direct contact like at the neck it might. Also washing is more important if your using chemicals - aftershave, suncreams, deodorants, etc.

2. If you have not caught it, looks it’s probably the Velcro that has been rubbing when the flap to hold the hood has been opened or mis aligned.

PPP 17 Feb 2018
In reply to acharnley:

Did you contact Rab? If their customer service is any good (I don't buy Rab anymore), they should sort it out for you. 

> It's had little use and very rarely with a small day pack.

Not to dismiss that, but the liner on my ME Morpheus (just plain Gore-Tex, not Pro) looks cleaner after half a decade of use? I wash it religiously, though. The discoloration might be due to a combination of sweat/dampness and a layer underneath? 

acharnley 17 Feb 2018

What a numpty I am, I didn't even realise that's what the flap was for. Definitely that and easily sorted with some seam tape.

Edit: reason I left the hood out is the bicycle helmet. Makes sense now. 

I'm washing it now, initial outcome is no difference. I don't do chemicals if I can avoid it but perhaps the material discolours naturally with sweat.

Post edited at 13:20
 ChrisH89 17 Feb 2018
In reply to acharnley:

Yeah I've had problems with Rab event waterproofs in the past as well , having them fail and delaminate after a very short time (a few months of casual use). Unfortunately their waterproof kit is not worth the price they charge, and I found their customer service to be pretty poor as well. I now avoid buying Rab kit and opt for manufacturers with better quality control and customer service. 

Ridge 18 Feb 2018
In reply to acharnley:

The wearing of the lining is identical to issues on Mrs Ridge's Rab event jacket. In her case it looked like her microfleece abraided the jacket where her rucksack pushed it against her body. The material seems very fragile and not really up to the job.

acharnley 18 Feb 2018

I don't believe the jacket I have is failing but it is likely the discoloured Event fabric will go that way eventually. It is a shame RAB didn't use the soft material in the middle of the jacket all the way around. I guess they didn't test the jacket over a couple months of usage.

To be fair it's a £250 jacket that came on a warranty claim for a Neoshell jacket. That jacket was awesome for 2 month and then de-laminated in a critical way. For performance items there's always a fine line between reliability and weight and I do believe RAB are veering towards weight.

It would be good to hear which widely available manufacturers are considered to have better quality control.

Will Legon 18 Feb 2018
In reply to acharnley:

In the past I have had Rab Event Latok over-trousers. They looked great but were hopeless within a year. I'm no longer a Rab fan either. 

ChrisH89 18 Feb 2018
In reply to acharnley:

Arc'teryx have become my first choice - every item I've had from them has been excellent and the one time I had a problem with something -a zip coming detached from a fleece in the wash- they immediately sent a replacement without any hassle at all. Admittedly more expensive than Rab but I value customer service and see it as insurance in case something does go wrong (and besides, their stuff is better quality to begin with). 

I'd also rate Mountain Equipment, and have heard good things about their customer service though haven't had to test it myself. Never had a duff item from them though. 

druridge 18 Feb 2018
In reply to acharnley:

Shame to hear poor feedback ref Rab; I'm still using an Ascent down jacket I got 10 years + ago.

It seems indestructible even after lots of use as a 'work' jacket (as a bird surveyor) on winter Scottish hills.

Must admit I go to Paramo now for waterproofs I can trust to be durrable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...