UKC

REVIEW: Rab Kinder Smock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 27 Sep 2017
Loving the old-school label, 3 kbFirst sold over 30 years ago, Rab's classic down smock is back in production. Its vintage looks haven't changed, but it's what's inside that really counts, finds Rob Greenwood.

Read more
 Doug 27 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

I still wear mine from time to time as much of the time my other duvet jacket is just too warm although often I'll wear a primaloft filled jacket as its easier to dry.

The review notes 'what I would refer to as a 'relaxed fit' - mine used to be but nowadays seems a much tighter fit, it must have shrunk over the years
 Coel Hellier 27 Sep 2017

Does this new-fangled "Hydrophobic Down" stuff actually work? Does one still restrict a down duvet to cold/dry days, using a synthetic one otherwise, or can a hydrophobic-down duvet cope with more than that?
 petegunn 27 Sep 2017

My Kinder Guide smock from the 90's is still going strong with only 2 gaffa patches! : )

I don't know if they still do but when Rab was in the UK, my friend got a hood added. He sent off the jacket and they returned it with the poppers and attachable hood, found on the full zip version.
 Timmd 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Coel Hellier:
My hydrophobic down jacket has been drizzled on in weather which would have felt like it was making the down in my none hydrophobic jacket loose it's warmth, and didn't affect it to the same degree, in letting 're volume' faster. It would still lose it's warmth like normal down would *I would guess* if it was caught out in heavy rain and you couldn't get anywhere dry.

One good side of hydrophobic down might be that one's pong doesn't stick to the down in quite the same way, but I dunno about that.
Post edited at 15:23
 Rick Graham 27 Sep 2017

A bit of history.
Rab told me that the original idea was a request from a certain P Livesey for a down top.
For mountain marathons and had to be as warm as possible but only one pound in weight.

Just weighed my pre production sample. Gore Tex covered, no pocket or hood, 470 grams.
The 16g extra to one pound might be the encrusted grime and a bit of extra velcro to attach a hood
 nufkin 27 Sep 2017

Kinder to who? Certainly not the geese.

[pulls on smock and leaves]

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...