UKC

Rab Latok Alpine Pants Good/Bad?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 astell 26 Sep 2011
My new Rab Latok Alpine waterproof pants leaked like a sieve on their first real exposure to rain. They are the most expensive waterproof pants I've ever bought too. At £138 I expected them to keep the water out!

Now I don't know whether to have my money back & start again given that it took me about a year to choose these or were they an aberration?

Has anyone had good experiences with these to share?

Any other recommendations? I would like something not over heavy but that could be used for a little winter climbing too & I need small slim woman sized. Thanks!
 Styx 26 Sep 2011
In reply to astell: a mate of mine has had three pairs of these returned to Rab as they were all defective. I on the other hand have been very happy with my Montane Venture pants which have reinforced panels and use the tougher eVent Hurricane material. I think they've been replaced this season with these: http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/shell/super-fly-pants/416 so the Venture pants seem to be going for a snip online if you can find them in your size.
 stella1 26 Sep 2011
In reply to astell: I had two pairs of rab pants and both leaked first time out. Got my money back and bought some ME salopettes.
 peas65 26 Sep 2011
In reply to astell:

i decided against the latok and instead bought some Haglofs electron q pants, they are a really good fit, very feminine shape but athletic fit. Have been good so far, leaking only around the crotch but that was after 5 hours of torrential rain in 60 mph gusts. Pretty happy.

My new Rab jacket leaks pretty badly too, only worn about 5 times but the rain comes through very quickly especially if i wear a rucksack.
 gethin_allen 26 Sep 2011
In reply to astell:
I wouldn't get them as I'm starting to lose the will with E-vent material. The w/e before last I was out in North Wales and I was wearing a very well looked after Rab Lofoten jacket, a friend had a Rab Latok Alpine jacket and another had a marmot own brand material jacket (not one of the top of the range ones), guess who was dry and who was piss wet through? even my seriously battered berghaus deluge trousers (£35) kept the rain out but not the ~£160 Rab e-vent jackets and it wasn't the workmanship that was causing the leaks the material just didn't hold the water out.
I'm going to buy Gore-tex or cheapo berghaus aquafoil 2 next, those deluge over trousers have been great.
0Unknown0 26 Sep 2011
In reply to astell: The super guides are wonderful pants. A bit expensive but worth it at double the cost.
 Rmb1 26 Sep 2011
In reply to astell:
I've had one experience of Rab gear - a layering jkt filled with Primaloft /similar. It was really poor from a warmth point of view. I spoke to Rab direct and was told it was up to standard & all I could expect for the spec/price
I sold it and bought a ME jkt with exactly the same infill spec and it was really warm!
 Yanis Nayu 26 Sep 2011
In reply to astell: You should've bought trousers instead.
OP astell 27 Sep 2011
In reply to astell:
Thanks all for very useful info!
 Liam42 27 Sep 2011
In reply to astell: mate returned 2 pairs for leaking..seem to recall it was to do with the zip?
 nufkin 27 Sep 2011
In reply to astell:

Mine are five or six years old now, so maybe newer ones are a bit different, but I've always thought quite well of them. They've leaked a little at the knees on occasion, after kneeling on wet things for a while, and a couple of times got me quite wet round the rump - but it was pretty bad weather and I think the problem may actually have been with the jacket I was wearing.

I got them because they were 'the most breathable', a good length and a close fit, and haven't been disappointed on any of those scores.
 TheseKnivesMan 27 Sep 2011
In reply to astell:

My mate has a pair and they leak as well, mostly from crampon nicks though. I think I'm also starting to lose faith in eVent too, I have a Montane Venture 2011 jacket and it leaks like a collander when it's really wet...I guess it's ok in drizzle and works perfectly in snow or hail, but I've seen my mate's Haglofs spitz hold back a NW Highland storm AND massive wave splashes at Reiff. Aye I'm pure ramblin'...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...