UKC

Really Long Slings

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LionSJH 13 Dec 2012
Hi,

I'm after a really long sling. After a search, the longest I've seen in the shops are the Clog Polyester 240cm and Wild Country Cordelette 400cm.

A friend has a 32ft nylon sling he bought for £2 off a bloke (mountain leader apparently) in a pub. He told to me this after I'd trusted my life to it btw.

Anyone know where I can get hold of a similarly sized behemoth - I have sling envy.

Cheers,
Simon.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 13 Dec 2012
In reply to LionSJH: I think the 400cm sling is actually fairly similar in length to your friends 32ft sling. Imperial slings tend to be measured as total circumference whereas metric slings tend to be measured as half of circumference.

This means your friends 32ft sling is equivalent to a 16ft = 487cm metric sling.
 GrahamD 13 Dec 2012
In reply to LionSJH:

For really long slings (basically for setting up abseil anchors on big boulders) I just buy a length of tape and knot it.
 jkarran 13 Dec 2012
In reply to LionSJH:

Assuming it's for rigging rather than bragging rights just buy 15m of 10mm static rope.

jk
softlad 14 Dec 2012
In reply to LionSJH: Lyon equipment do "32ft" slings in both 18mm and 25mm, although as remus says that's a very out-moded way of describing sling size. 32ft circumference = 16ft length = 480cm

Hitch and Hike have them in their online catalogue (with whom I've no connection):

http://www.hitchnhike.co.uk/acatalog/rope_access_webbing_slings.html
 Muel 14 Dec 2012
In reply to LionSJH:

Thought about using a cordlette? I carry one made from 10m of 6mm cord (so effectively a 5m sling). I don't tend to carry it when climbing unless I know I'll need it though.

Cost under a tenner, is light enough, and apparently will hold 17kn.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...