UKC

Recommend me a four season sleeping mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Johnson 24 Jan 2022

I'm looking for recommendations for an inflatable sleeping mat for four season use, either as a winter complement to my ten year old NeoAir classic (which I might still use for summer), or to replace it. Primary use would be backpacking and bivying. Main priority is warmth. Weight does matter but for an inflatable I'd prioritise durability. Prepared to pay up to £200 for something that will perform and last.

I've found various reviews and forum posts, but nothing particularly recent. The NeoAir X Therm seemed to be well regarded, but I'm wondering if theres anything new that I should be aware of?

TobyA 24 Jan 2022
In reply to Andy Johnson:

What about your current mat plus a Z-Rest or RidgeRest? It's what I've done for decades, and it works well for temps down to -25ish, I think the coldest I've used it at was -27. For years I used an 3/4 length Thermarest Ultralite (pack under feet) on a Ridge Rest. Works well. About 10 years ago I got a Z Rest as they pack down slightly better. 

TechnoJim 24 Jan 2022
In reply to TobyA:

This. Always good to have a foam mat anyway in case you have a disaster with the inflatable. 

I've got a Exped downmat ul 5 and a Z Rest that I use year round. It's probably a bit overkill for summer but you can get away with a lighter bag with more insulation under you so swings and roundabouts.

CantClimbTom 24 Jan 2022

*If* (and only if) you have a down sleeping bag... I was going to mention a really thin ultralight closed cell foam mat and then on top of that you used to be able to get this very lightweigh self inflating one that was a bit like the shape of a Cadbury's curly wurly (the chocolate not the wrapper). The idea was that the sleeping bag filled up the gaps in the mat and insulated underneath you rather than being squashed flat. Can't remember name of find it now, either they stopped selling, or maybe I'm on drugs and imagined it?

Does anyone remember that too?

Post edited at 12:24
 Alex Riley 24 Jan 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

I really like my exped ul winter. I've used it all over the place hot and cold, always slept well (and I'm a bit of a fussy sleeper). 

Hiking_Dad 24 Jan 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Andy,

I use a combo of a thin closed cell pad with a Neo Air XTherm.  Super luxurious, seems you can almost feel the warmth being reflected back at you.  The XTherm folds up pretty small and I've used my own breath to fill it up without any negative consequences, I just store it unrolled and deflated with valve open.

Tom,

Maybe this mat:

https://www.myracekit.com/klymit-inertia-x-lite-sleeping-mat-p339 

TechnoJim 24 Jan 2022

In reply to Tightlypackedkebab:

Oh just get f**ked will you pal

Edited to apologise to mods and forum users, I don't normally bother engaging with these twunts but I'm right at the end of my rope with it now, especially in the gear forum FFS

Post edited at 23:48
 TechnoJim 24 Jan 2022
In reply to TechnoJim:

Wow, they got canned rapid like. Sweet.

OP Andy Johnson 25 Jan 2022

In reply to all:  Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll probably go with the xtherm.                   

Post edited at 08:50
 ScraggyGoat 25 Jan 2022

In my experience stay clear of sea to summit dot weld pattern mats ; after a period they develop multiple pin hole leaks at the edge of the dot welds where the fabric creases.

At the premium end of the market it is really a choice between the thermarest xtherm and the Exped Down UL.   Note Exped appear to have solved their merging baffle problem, with thicker welds. 

afrosam 25 Jan 2022

I've got an 'Exped SynMat Deluxe 7 LW' that I've only used once if you're interested in it? Great mat, but realistically I'm not going to use it now I'm a van dweller.

https://mountainsforeverybody.com/exped-synmat-deluxe-7-sleeping-pad

https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Exped_SynMat_Deluxe_7_LW_Sleeping_Mat/

wbo2 25 Jan 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:  You can still get the CurlyWurly ones as I've seen one for sale recently but I'm darned if I can remember who makes it.

I've also opted for the inflatable plus Z Rest combination.  With the Z rest underneath it seems to work especially well on snow, and limit sinking ...

Toccata 25 Jan 2022

Too many inflatable mat fails for me to risk forking out for (again). Mostly on soft surfaces so I use a cheap foam mat (although like the look of the Z rest) with the Alpkit cloudbase on top. Cloudbase alone is too cold but if it pops I still have something to sleep on.

Andypeak 25 Jan 2022
In reply to Toccata:

What sort of temperature have you used this down to? I only ask because I'm in the market for a new winter mat and this would save me a fortune. I also find my cloud base very comfortable

Toccata 25 Jan 2022
In reply to Andypeak:

Coldest was -10C on a semifrozen bog on the south side of Mullardoch. Perfectly fine in my 20 year old Vango down bag (always thought it was called Neutrino 400 but it appears this is a Rab name). There would also be the option to put spare clothes between the foam and inflatable if you were cold.

Another advocate of doubling up a Z packs cell foam and an insulated inflatable, served me very well and even got too hot on a few occasions resulting in using my sleeping bag as a quilt so I could waft cool air in every now and then, splendid.

abr1966 25 Jan 2022
In reply to Toccata:

Same set up for me....foam roll mat and a cloudbase. Been comfy in the cold but probably to around zero...any colder and I'm in a b&b!

TobyA 25 Jan 2022
In reply to TechnoJim:

What did I miss!?! :-O

TechnoJim 25 Jan 2022
In reply to TobyA:

A particularly egregious Covid conspiracy fcuknut. Not even an attempt at engagement with the thread, just full on bullshit right off the bat. Really weird in the middle of a gear thread.

Don't know if it was a bot or a human but I caught it just after I became aware of yesterday's fresh revelations about the PM disregarding his own legislation and I lost my temper.

Mods zapped him/her/it super quick though.

Guy Hurst 25 Jan 2022

For quite a few years I've been using a Multimat Superlight 8 foam mat under a three-quarter length Xtherm. It's a very comfortable combination and has been used below -10C on quite a few occasions. It'[s also good to have the security of knowing I won't suffer a freezing cold night if the Xtherm ever fails.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...