UKC

recommend me a sleeping bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alexjz 25 Jun 2012
It has to be affordable, reasonably compact when packed (I realise there is a tradeoff here so any comments on good value for money appreciated) and I will be using it mostly in british summer, which pretty much means 5-25°C (again, please recommend other temp ranges). I'll be camping in N Wales and Peak district
 eschaton 26 Jun 2012
In reply to alexjz: the mountain hardwear lamina 45 or 35 models. the number indicates the supposed comfort rating in degrees fahrenheit so 45=7 degrees and the 35= 1/2 degrees. they pack down well, dont weigh that much for the warmth they give out and are made to a high standard.
 Nathan Adam 26 Jun 2012
In reply to alexjz: Quecha have a decent range. Around the £40 and £50 mark for a three season bag. Idiot proof and packs down quite well, kept me warm in -5 and its only suggested to 5+. Have a look on the decathlon website, they have a few options !
 TobyA 26 Jun 2012
In reply to alexjz: If you think you will use it a lot, I'd go for a bottom end downbag, Alpkit probably is your best bet, but there are some other cheaper options around. It will be a bit lighter and warmer for its weight than a synthetice, but the the main thing is as long as you store it dry and uncompressed, it will last for decades so mid to long term they are much better value.
 CurlyStevo 26 Jun 2012
In reply to alexjz: imo you want more than one bag for that temp range
 CurlyStevo 26 Jun 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: I find most bags can do a range of about 10 degrees tops
 Phil1919 26 Jun 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: Otherwise, make sure you have a full length zip.
 Blue Straggler 26 Jun 2012
In reply to alexjz:

Vango Nitestar 250. £30ish. Maybe add a liner for colder. Not the most compact but not too bad. Excellent value for money.
 alooker 26 Jun 2012
In reply to alexjz: Alpkit pd400 is great for british summer
 Ethan Thomas 26 Jun 2012
In reply to alooker: Check out Blacks, they have there own brand called Apex. I use a Ledge 400. It is really compact and goose down. Perfect for British summer time. It is about 100 quid at the moment I think. But if you wait around, you'll probably find a deal on it. I know today in the Keswick store they had a deal on 'buy any tent and get any sleeping bag half price'. If you need a tent too, that is a good way to go about getting one.
 mattc 26 Jun 2012
In reply to alexjz: Mountian hardwear lamina range amazing for price weight and pack size.
OP alexjz 27 Jun 2012
cheers for the info. I've had a look around and go outdoors have some good prices on the Lamina range. Not sure whether to get the Lamina 20 (£70) or 35 (£80) though. I know it can get cold in the llanberis pass, even in spring or summer. Hesitating between the blacks ledge 400 that has a huge range (-15 to +25) or one of the lamina series. Any recommendations?
 eschaton 27 Jun 2012
In reply to alexjz: the lamina 20 is possibly the best synthetic 3 season sleeping bag at the moment. 70 quid is less than most staff discounts on it so it is a good bargain, though it may be too warm for summer use, but then so would the 35 in the majority of scenarios.
 Neil Williams 27 Jun 2012
In reply to TobyA:

Another vote for Alpkit - if they've got any in, they tend to sell out quite quickly on many things.

Neil
 Ethan Thomas 28 Jun 2012
In reply to alexjz: The blacks Ledge 400 is actually nowhere near -15. I think that is the extreme range. I think the comfort rating is 0. I often have to put an extra layer on if its below 5 though. To be honest I didn't realise the laminas where going for that price. When I've seen them they look like a better quality bag so I'd go with that unless you can get the ledge for much cheaper.
 Ethan Thomas 28 Jun 2012
In reply to Ethan Thomas: Oh actually, scrap that last comment! I forgot the laminas were synthetic. For compactness and weight, you're much better off with a down bag. Just keep it in a drybag. Just take the temperature guide with a pinch of salt that's all. The Ledge is good for the money like all the blacks ones. I think the Ledge 550 or sommet that blacks do is warmer and that is also down.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...