UKC

Recommend me some dry bags that...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 10 Sep 2019

...don't weigh an absolute ton but still last for a decent amount of time.

I'm looking for something about 8l for sleeping bag and spare clothes for over night trips.

I have some of the Alpkit silicon coated nylon ones but they haven't lasted that well and have started to leak. Obviously a traditional Ortlieb one would last and be reliable but they are heavy so I'm looking for something in the middle.

Ta.

Jack B 10 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Exped do a range of different drybags. The "ultralight" ones are thin nylon, and the "regular" ones are a bit thicker and might be a good match. They also have a "Heavy Duty" which might be more like the Ortlieb ones you're thinking of. I think they also do some with an air valve, which might be good for squashing down sleeping bags and similar.

I have a number of the regular ones. They don't last for ever, but I think they are a pretty good balance of weight and durability.

Post edited at 19:50
 marsbar 10 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

I'm a big fan of the ortlieb.  They don't weigh that much and they are bombproof.

marsbar 10 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

It seems ortlieb now do 3 types lightweight medium and heavy.  Worth a look.  Mine are the old style  (they are many years old which is good) 

OP DaveHK 11 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks folks. I've actually got a wee rucksack style Exped dry bag which has put up with lots of abuse so I might try one of them.

GraB 11 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Another vote for the Exped range. Not the ultralite things, which really are a bit too much like tissue paper (but still good when weight is everything), but the next weight up. They seem to be durable enough for me and survive being dragged in and out of sea kayaks without much problem. But for that use I really prefer original Ortlieb bags, which last forever.

cb294 11 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Ortlieb, in particular the orange ones with the valve near the bottom: Chuck everything in, roll up, and squeeze the air out. Best compression bag ever.

CB

girlymonkey 11 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

I have been really impressed with my Osprey Ultralight ones. I give all my kit quite a lot of abuse and these have shown no signs of wear yet. I must have had them for about 3 years I think

neuromancer 11 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

In short: Silnylon bags are all much of a muchness. They will develop pinprick holes and fail around the taped seams, usually with a regularly used lifetime of a year or two. This includes the alpkit ones, exped ultralight, seat to summit e.t.c

Thicker bags won't develop the pinholes, but will fail on the seams in a similar amount of time.

Thick canoe style bags - like the Exped Heavy or Ortlieb are durable but just not really worth the weight.

If you trust it you can go for a solution that just has a heavyweight liner for your sack, then not care about the absolute waterproofness of the internal bags and go lightweight.

Personally, I'd just buy the lightest thing on offer and accept that I'm gonna have to retire them to not being absolutely watertight after a year or two (or just accept it as only a tiny amount of dampness would penetrate anyway). It's only absolutely crucial if your life depends on it being dry e.t.c

LastBoyScout 11 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

I've got the Ortlieb mid-weight ones and they've been brilliant over the years - my oldest one is now covered in seam sealant in some areas from repeated folding and rolling at the top, but the rest is still sound.

I've got an Exped one that's great, but not really been used in anger.

I've been quite impressed with a couple of Trespass ones I picked up very cheap, can't remember if from one of their shops or TK Maxx. Used one as a stuff sack for a down sleeping bag when touring and the smaller one in the kids swim bag and lots of trips to the beach for odds and ends I needed to keep dry/away from sand.

Smythson 11 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Something like this? My sea to summit ones are light and have lasted a few years now -

http://www.outside.co.uk/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-view-dry-sack-13-litre-ora...

PaulJepson 11 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Sea to Summit make some great lightweight ones. They lasted me a couple of thousand miles.

Mark Haward 11 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

For me the sleeping bag is such an essential piece of kit to keep dry I prefer the reliability of the Ortleib. The 7 litre orange, as mentioned above, is perfect for my use, I find the valve very useful to keep the bag / contents compressed. Mine have lasted several years so far and see some heavy use such as D of E groups and alpine seasons. 

Toerag 12 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Binsack.

oldie 13 Sep 2019
In reply to neuromancer:

> If you trust it you can go for a solution that just has a heavyweight liner for your sack, then not care about the absolute waterproofness of the internal bags and go lightweight. <

Agree with that. If complete immersion is unlikely I sometimes use a thickish plastic bag (possibly builder's) with another bag inverted over the top which seems to keep things absolutely dry.

Andy Moles 13 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

I don't rate the Exped ones at all, unless they have improved recently. They fail in their primary function of keeping things dry. *

Sorry that's an un-recommendation, but hopefully still useful.

* I'm talking a wet day on the west coast at the bottom of a rucksack, not total immersion.

Post edited at 11:45

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...