UKC

Repair velcro cuffs on RAB down jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SuperstarDJ 31 Mar 2021

Hi,

My trusty down jacket needs a couple of repairs.  The adjustable cuffs have come unglued and need sticking back together.  I've tried with fabric glue but it's not bonding at all. 

The soft bit of the velcro is sewn directly onto the cuff and that's fine.  The 10cm long tag that's attached to the cuff and has the stiff velcro side attached to it has separated into a piece of rough velcro and the plasticky/rubbery tag bit (both are still attached to the cuff).  I need to glue them together. Any ideas?

(hopefully the explanation makes some sort of sense!)

Thanks,

David

Becky E 31 Mar 2021
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Yes that makes sense, as the same has happened with my oldish Rab down jacket.  I'm not sure what would be the best glue to use.  Alternatively you could try stitching it?  I might have a go with mine...

johnt 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Becky E:

McNett Seamgrip worked on a similar issue i had with a Montane jacket... 5 years on and still holding together... tip - consider roughing the plastic / rubber part with fine abrasive paper before applying glue and use clothes pegs to hold it all together whilst the glue dries overnight.... alternatively a contact adhesive will give instant bonding when applied correctly to both surfaces...

raincloud 01 Apr 2021
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

I had the same issue with  a Rab event jacket - glued the rubber and Velcro together with superglue then put a staple across the end - still stuck together 3 years on

OP SuperstarDJ 01 Apr 2021
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

I just did what I probably should have done yesterday and looked on RAB's website.  They'll repair both cuffs for £15 and so I'll go with that option.  Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Cheers,

David

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...