UKC

Repairing trigger wires on cams - Cam doctor kits??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jussy 20 May 2011
Have a few cams with fraying trigger wires that I need to repair. A size 3 C4 Camalots, a size 4DMM 4CU, and a couple medium sized rock and run cams...

Was having a look at the cam doctor kits online. They look good but the price tag (£40) seemed a bit steep.

Has anybody bought one and what do they think?
Worth the price?

I thought I may just be able to buy the things that they sell in the kit individually in a hardware shop, but I am not sure exactly what I need.

Thanks
 andymoin 20 May 2011
In reply to jussy: Hi Jussy I sell the cam doctors kits so thought id put in. The kits cost £40 but you can repair about 10 cams with them. Compare this to manufacture kits (wild country's cost £10 for only one repair) or factory repair >£30 for one repair and it a pretty good deal.

The parts for the kits come from Canada and are pretty much impossible to source from here fro anything near the price.

If you need any other info let me know.

Cheers Andy
Kane 20 May 2011
In reply to andymoin:
> The parts for the kits come from Canada and are pretty much impossible to source from here fro anything near the price.

I managed to get crimping pliers for oval/double crimps, copper ferrules of various sizes (0.8 - 1.2mm), 7x19 wire rope (various diameters) and 0.8mm stainless locking wire for small cams for about £30.

Pliers:
http://www.pauls-angling-supplies.co.uk/heavy-duty-fishing-crimping-crimp-c...

Wire and ferrules:
http://www.tecni-cable.co.uk/

Very small ferrules and locking wire for aliens I got off ebay.

Kane 20 May 2011
In reply to jussy: I'd get some callipers and measure the diameter of the solid part that connects to the cam. Buy some 7x19 wire to match and the right sized ferrules and pliers - probably set you back around £25-£30. Then keep the solid part in place by removing the crimps with a file. The metal is soft so this doesn't take long. If the solid part has broken (as it tends to on smaller cams) then you'll need to get some stainless locking wire as well. This is wire that is designed to have good fatigue resistance.

Kane
 3leggeddog 20 May 2011
In reply to jussy: Just use the nylon line from your garden strimmer £5 will repair all the cams you and your mates will ever own and your children's and your grand children's. The legacy cam repair kit.
 andymoin 20 May 2011
In reply to Kane: Hmm that crimper is really cheap had a look at them before and they were like £30+. Looks like it has allot of bolts tho, how durable do you reckon it is? may have to change what is in the kit.
OP jussy 20 May 2011
In reply to andymoin:
Cheers for the info guys.
 Simon Caldwell 20 May 2011
In reply to 3leggeddog:
> Just use the nylon line from your garden strimmer

That's what I do. Lasts longer than the original wires.
OP jussy 20 May 2011
In reply to 3leggeddog:
how do you attach the nylon to the cam heads?
 wilkie14c 20 May 2011
In reply to jussy:
You thread it through and the heat from a ciggie lighter forms it into a blob and that is what stops it pulling through.
I have a cam doctor kit too and I agree with the comments about its effectivness.
 wilkie14c 20 May 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:
just a heads up for any tech friend owners, as long as it isn't more than 10 years old, Wild country will repair the triggers and sew you a new sling on it for £13.00. Subject to WC's prior inspection of course. Now thats a bargain.
Kane 20 May 2011
In reply to andymoin: Yeah I've done about 6 repairs with it. It seems pretty solid and for the small crimps on cams I think it'll last for quite a while.
 Simon Caldwell 20 May 2011
In reply to jussy:
I thread it through (often needs pliers to make it narrow enough to get through the hole to start with) and tie a knot, which I tighten using pliers
 kevin stephens 20 May 2011
In reply to andymoin:
> (In reply to jussy) Hi Jussy I sell the cam doctors kits so thought id put in. The kits cost £40 but you can repair about 10 cams with them. Compare this to manufacture kits (wild country's cost £10 for only one repair)

Actually Wild Country's £10 bag has bits to repair two Friends so only £5 each. and quite simple to use too
 3leggeddog 21 May 2011
In reply to jussy:

Tie a knot in it, it is also best to knot the nylon behind the trigger, this tops it slipping through and the cams itting at funny angles just when you don't want them to

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...