UKC

Replacing rubber grip on ice axe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pedro50 06 Jan 2014
Have inherited a Camp copy of Chouinard axe, but the rubber grip is totally shot. Any suggestions for replacing, either professional or DIY. Thanks
 Mountain Llama 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Pedro50: Bike inner tube or self amalgamating tape (screwfix)

Si Withington 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Pedro50:
Self-amalgmating tape from your local DIY store. However, I've had more success with some brands than others - the best seems to be 'Tape Mammoth SOS Repair Tape'! Alternatively, a friend of mine uses black Stixall http://www.everbuild.co.uk/stix-all - it gives you a similar finish to the grip on Grivel tools, e.g. the Master. Not tried it on my tools yet, but think I will.

Edit: although having re-read your original post I guess you're not going to be cranking some overhanging horror-show with those tools so the Stixall might be OTT
Post edited at 21:04
 PPP 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Pedro50:

Sugru comes to my mind.
 Mountain Llama 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Si Withington:

Stilxall is very good for fixing skirting boards as well........
 Alpenglow 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Pedro50:

I bought some hockey stick grip tape from sports direct and then wound black electrical tape over it.
It works really well.
 maybe_si 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Pedro50: plastidip, google it, its amazing! Wrap a thin layer of finger tape round the shaft as a base then paint on a few layers, the bonus is you can pick your colour, i went for a rathet fetching Bright yellow!
OP Pedro50 07 Jan 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

Lots of great advice, thanks a lot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...